• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

2006 D5G Fuel system

D5GDevo

Anyone have auy idea why my 2006 D5G stalls out and then wont restart until I give it a shot of starting fluid. When I turn the key on the prime pump runs for a long time before it shuts off, but the engine still wont start. It starts and runs great until it takes a spell to stall. I have changed out the fuel shut off solenoid and the prime pump, Cat recommended that due to a service bulletin, 500.00 later same problem. I have blown out all the fuel lines, cleaned the tank out but still having trouble. Anyone have any ideas what might be going on????

Plant Fitter

Have you checked the fuel tank breather? If it is blocked the engine will run until it is too hard for it to suck any more fuel and then it will stall.

D5GDevo

Yes, it seems to be working. Do you know anything about how the electrical system is designed, a guy at Cat mentioned something about a timer.

D5GDevo

Anyone know where the fuel pressure regulator is? I am starting to think that the priming pump is free flowing back to the tank, maybe the regulator is stuck or not working, anyone had this issue before, or know anything about this? I would really appreciate any help or advise. Thanks in advance..

willd8r

Occupation
dozer operator Cat D11R
The fuel line between the tank and lift pump seem to block easy.Most times unscrew tap and poke a bit wire in to clear.Priming pumps play up a bit valves stick etc.
Cheers

D5GDevo

Thanks for the advise wild8r, I'll try that tomorrow. The injection pump is somthing I am dont like to mess with, I dont know enough about it, probaly just enough to get myself in trouble and cost me a bundle. A good friend of mine that is an X Cat mechanic is coming over in the morning to check it out, he thinks the fuel pressure regulator may be stuck open, which is located on the injection pump according to him. I'll keep you posted on the quest to find the culprit.

d9gdon

Did you change the little fuel filter that is contained in the injector pump itself? The part number is 237-5398. It's number 2 in the picture. This parts diagram is from a D5G sn WGB.

D5G.gif

D3DaveC

I once had a 2006 D4G that would idle right down, no power and smoke. I took it to Cat and they did an update to the fuel filter housing. After that it worked fine until it was getting low on fuel and did the same thing. I took the lines off, blew into them, put the lines on and it worked fine. Must have been something floating in the tank. I always kept the tank above half full of fuel after that.

D5GDevo

No luck today finding the culprit, my buddy came over and the only thing that he thought might be causing a problem was the fuel filter/water seperator combo that is under the housing of the electric primming pump. The filter showed on the directions for installation not to pre-fill the filter, so I didnt. The filter never filled up on it's own, it only got about 1/4 the way full after approx 20 hours of running. We decided to fill it up and see what happens, I dont see how it could hurt anything, I have always pre-filled any filters I change out, except air filters, LOL. I did look at that little filter on the injection pump under the fuel shut off solenoid but I couldnt get it to come out of its hole. In fear of tearing it up or getting pieces of it trapped inside the inj. pump or a injector I decided to give up on that. The fuel appears to circulate very good back into the tank with the primming pump running and the engine off, but it still seams like to me that it runs a long time before it will shut off. Not sure if thats by design or thats a clue to my problem. The update that D3DaveC is talking about has already been done when I changed mine. The Cat dealer said that they had a service bulletin out on that, but i couldnt tell any difference after I changed it to the updated version.
Maybe with presistance and some luck we might figure out whats going on. Thanks for everyones help. I will keep you updated on the status.

Bob/Ont

Would anyone have a schematic of the electrical system on this D5G SN WGB?

Dave, try parking your dozer facing up hill, leave for an hour then try to start.
If it doesn't start tow it around facing down hill and let it sit then try to start.
If it starts facing down hill, the problem is the lip seal on the fuel pump shaft drawing air.
If you have this problem machine will work good on level or down hill and lose power working up hill.
Best solution is new injection pump.
Later Bob

D5GDevo

Thanks Bob,
Sorry I havent replied sonner, I have been away from my PC for awhile doing a little traveling. I'll give that a try. Thanks,
D5GDevo

Catman75

Hey buddy I have a friend that owns a d5g I think it's a 06 as well and his turned out being a crack in the common rail that delivers the fuel to the injectors it took them 6 months to find it because it was so random just thought I'd throw it out there.. Hope ya figure it out man...
Thanks,Jason

Bob/Ont

Thanks Bob,
Sorry I havent replied sonner, I have been away from my PC for awhile doing a little traveling. I'll give that a try. Thanks,
D5GDevo

Dave, just remembered a easier way that worked for me. Park dozer facing slightly down hill and raise the front above level. If it doesn't want to start you can just lift the blade and be facing down hill to try again.
Later Bob

D5GDevo

Hey Bod/Ont,
I tried that today and thats exactly what it did. You are a genius!!!! I called my Cat dealer today about a new injection pump and its going to be around 3,000.oo OUCH!!! I wonder if i can just have the seal replaced by a injector pump shop or may be get mine rebuilt. The pump seams to be fine except for the seal. Anybody had experience with this??

Bob/Ont

Hey Bod/Ont,
I tried that today and thats exactly what it did. You are a genius!!!! I called my Cat dealer today about a new injection pump and its going to be around 3,000.oo OUCH!!! I wonder if i can just have the seal replaced by a injector pump shop or may be get mine rebuilt. The pump seams to be fine except for the seal. Anybody had experience with this??

Dave, all Cat seems to have is new, no repaair or exch??? I was just going to suggest that to you if you have a good fuel shop. You need to get the dealer to print you the R&I and Timing instructions when you are there buying your gaskets, get pages first before you pay for parts. The electric pump fills the injection pump housing and a pump inside charges the high pressure part of the pump. When you are going up hill the seal is dry and air gets sucked into the fuel and the high pressure section doesn't get a clean charge, just foam.
Later Bob

D5GDevo

The Cat dealer did say that they could get a re-man pump, but they didnt have any in stock and no new ones in stock , they would be on back order and we know what that means......Wait for it....I think i am going to call a diesel injection service in Louisville, KY in the morning and see what they say or I could just stay on flat ground and I wouldnt have no problems.

Bob/Ont

The Cat dealer did say that they could get a re-man pump, but they didnt have any in stock and no new ones in stock , they would be on back order and we know what that means......Wait for it....I think i am going to call a diesel injection service in Louisville, KY in the morning and see what they say or I could just stay on flat ground and I wouldnt have no problems.

Dave, keep it going and get a reman one if you can. If you have any doubt about getting the timing right let Cat do it and warrenty it. The one I found played out the same, pump backordered and I didn't change it so I can't help you with experiance.
Later Bob