• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

2006 Cat 287B blowing oil out the pcv vent lines

Leon Warden

2006 cat 287b with a 3044c/t, Ive did the updates on eliminating the PCV valve and now I have oil blowing out into the bottom of my machine to the point where it isnt registering on the dip stick. There is a hose that comes off the dip stick tube down where it enters the block and im wondering if it might be coming from that? seeing as thats the lowest point oil could make its way out of the engine? everything else is coming off the top at the valve cover vent. Could I plug the hose coming off the dip stick tube without causing harm?

heymccall

Well, again, who told you to do this?
What document or procedure?

Oil and "coolant" escaping?

If you vent the valve cover to atmosphere, and block the hose going to the dipstick tube, most likely the newer vent tube will spew oil along with crankcase fumes.
That thing you're calling a PCV is called an OCV in the maintenance manuals. It has 3 ports
In from valve cover.
Out is fumes separated from oil, back to intake.
Drain is oil (separated) back to oil pan, via the dipstick tube.

Leon Warden

Well, again, who told you to do this?
What document or procedure?

Oil and "coolant" escaping? Well the first time I replaced the OCV. Apparently the check ball gets stuck and causes the crank case to over pressure. So I replaced it twice per the cat dealer. Still did it when it was cold and caused over pressure and oil n coolant to seep from the block and it blew the oil fill plug out which never happened before. So after researching it I found the diagram on deleting it. Did I do something wrong?? I still have all the parts.

If you vent the valve cover to atmosphere, and block the hose going to the dipstick tube, most likely the newer vent tube will spew oil along with crankcase fumes.
That thing you're calling a PCV is called an OCV in the maintenance manuals. It has 3 ports
In from valve cover.
Out is fumes separated from oil, back to intake.
Drain is oil (separated) back to oil pan, via the dipstick tube.