• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

2005 D4G loss of power but not in engine

Frederico

Ok, this is my first time here. I'v been mechanicing for 42 years. The co-op that i'm working for funishes all tools. But not the one to diagnois a D4G that we have here. Now the problem is that when you accelerate it will move fast and then starts moving slow and then slower until it stops. and the engine RPMs is high. So it is'nt the engine. Its more like hydraulic system the way it's acting. I've replaced the filters and the rear sensors. The explanation light does'nt flash or stay on after key on and runs thru self test. Anyboby have any ideas? Also it does it in reverse.

Bluetop Man

Occupation
farmer
What the heck is it with these D4G's, anyway? Could be something in the radiator water, or could be the Mitsubishi coming out.

Frederico

G morning Nige, thanks for replying. Okay the Serial Number is MHK11105 I'll tell you when it started, The wiring in the A/C burnt up. I had installed the A/C unit 3 years ago. It's a Red Dot brand. Now I found the problem why it burnt up. The positive battery cable had been rubbing against a stud under the cab and causing a short to ground. Was wierd cause all that burnt that I could see was the A/C wiring, especially the ground wire to the A/C. Fixed all wiring, started engine and all worked great. drove and operated out in field and was working fine for (LMAO) 20 minutes, then started acting up as I first explained

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
In the RH corner of the Message Center is an indicator that says "SERV CODE". It should light up during the self-test of the panel when you first turn the key on and then go out. Does it go out or stay on..?

Last edited:

Frederico

The only light for codes is an explanation mark in a wheel gear. No SERV CODE indicator. Do you think I should change the Transmission oil and filter, it's got 4800 hrs and never changed it. Andthe light goes off, does'nt stay on

Frederico

Okay, I'm tired of trying to find out what's wrong with this dozer. With out the proper diagniostic tools, I'm lost! :Banghead I'm going to send it to the dealer!!!! Got to much of other work to do. So I guess that is the best thing to do. Thanks for the help Nige. So take care. Bye for now :waving

Frederico

4800 hours and never changed the transmission oil. It's supposed to be changed every 1000 hours along with the filter. If that's the way the machine's been treated God help you, because we surely can't.

I looked into the maint. records and found out that it's serviced at every 200 hours or 230 hours. I was told by the service person that it was'nt. my mistake.

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
That makes things a little different, although I get the impression that maybe good maintenance records might be a bit few and far between.
This is a Hystat tractor and takes about 10 gallons of SAE10W hydraulic oil. The full hydraulic system capacity is 22 gallons but you'd never be able to drain that much without emptying every hydraulic line on the machine.
How often have they been changing the hydraulic filter and the hydraulic oil..? The filter should be changed every 1000 hours or 6 months, the oil every 2000 hours or one year.
Does the owner ever have oil analysis done..? An oil sample might be a good point to start off with.

BTW the S/N you gave above is for the engine. The tractor is S/N HYD01602.

Any chance of posting a photo of the light you have illuminated on the dash panel..?

Here's the filter location. The filter marked 3 with the arrow is the one for the Hystat transmission, the other filter alongside it is for the hydraulic system.

D5G Hyd Tank.pngD5G Hystat filter.png

Frederico

That makes things a little different, although I get the impression that maybe good maintenance records might be a bit few and far between.
This is a Hystat tractor and takes about 10 gallons of SAE10W hydraulic oil. The full hydraulic system capacity is 22 gallons but you'd never be able to drain that much without emptying every hydraulic line on the machine.
How often have they been changing the hydraulic filter and the hydraulic oil..? The filter should be changed every 1000 hours or 6 months, the oil every 2000 hours or one year.
Does the owner ever have oil analysis done..? An oil sample might be a good point to start off with.

BTW the S/N you gave above is for the engine. The tractor is S/N HYD01602.

Any chance of posting a photo of the light you have illuminated on the dash panel..?

Here's the filter location. The filter marked 3 with the arrow is the one for the Hystat transmission, the other filter alongside it is for the hydraulic system.

View attachment 125544View attachment 125545

Okay, found maint. records showing changing engine oil and all filters at around 210 hours. The last time hydraulic fluid was change was in April 2014 at 4578 hours. I think the problem is going to be in the electrical system. We're renting a dozer and taking this one to a certified cat dealer shop with all the maint. History