• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

2004 JCB 214 Backhoe Transmission issues

Ktricky

Hi - I’m stumped. I have a 2004 JCB 214 backhoe with a shuttle shift. The backhoe runs great however after 10 minutes, the shuttle stops working and I lose forward and reverse. If I let it sit for a while it then works fine again. I know these units have solenoids for forward and reverse but I’m not sure why it would work fine then stop. No funny noises, it runs great. Transmission fluid level is fine. I had it at a JCB dealer for a few weeks and currently have it at another heavy equipment mechanic. They’re both stumped. The JCB dealer wasn’t very familiar with these units. Any ideas?

woodfirst

Check your relays when it happens again and move them around to see if the symptoms change. I had the same symptoms and traced it to bad relays that would stop working when they heat up with age

JCBbyron

I've got a 214 as well but mine doesn't have reverse it will move maybe 20 to 30 feet and then stops but it goes forward with no problem any suggestions I've check all the wiring and everything is good

partsdic

1. Transmission Fluid Temperature: It's possible that the transmission fluid is overheating after running for a while, causing a loss of hydraulic pressure and, consequently, the shuttle to stop working. Ensure the cooling system for the transmission is functioning correctly.
  2. Solenoid or Valve: Solenoids and control valves can sometimes become intermittent when they heat up. It's possible that one of these components is failing when it gets hot, causing the loss of shuttle function.
  3. Electrical Issue: Check the electrical connections and wiring related to the shuttle solenoids. Loose or damaged connections can cause intermittent problems.
  4. Hydraulic Pressure: The shuttle function relies on hydraulic pressure. Ensure the hydraulic system is maintaining the required pressure consistently.
  5. Transmission Filter: A clogged or dirty transmission filter can lead to restricted fluid flow and cause similar symptoms. Ensure the filter is clean and in good condition.

csthompson12

Wonder what it was clogged with? Mine wasn’t clogged yet, but did have friction plate material in it. Hard to believe they would miss it, because on mine the screen is also where you drain the fluid to change it.

skata

Screenshot_20230918_083532_Chrome.jpg

If it's like other jcb transmission, it looks like this. Two bolts holding it on, at bottom of transmission. You'll just see the plate from the outside.