• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

2004 International 7300

materthegreater

Turns out the dealer didn't have a new CPS, and didn't know when they'd be able to get one. Turns out I had a good used one from my 7.3L Powerstroke that fits and seems to be working fine. I've run the truck for a few hours since then and no hiccups so far.

Another thing that I think was related was an issue with the tach. There have been a few times over the last few months when it has given erratic readings, but the engine still seemed to run fine so I figured it was loose wiring in the dash or something like that. I didn't connect the dots in my head that this was probably also caused by the failing CPS.

mekanik

I used to look after a small fleet of mostly Internationals. I ran Michelin XDN2 tires on the steering axles of the trucks with driving or non driving steering axles. They wore well and worked great in the winter. That would be my suggestion.

materthegreater

Those do look like really nice tires. The tire shop owner didn't recommend siped tires on the steer axle because they can be squirmy when cornering. He recommended Ironhead IDR311 or similar.

While I may use this truck in snow occasionally, I don't plan to use it for plowing so snow traction isn't the highest priority. It will probably see a lot more use off road and in muddy conditions.

Is there any difference between steer and drive tires besides tread?

materthegreater

When I got the truck it had winter deeps all the way around. Anything should be an improvement as far as handling goes.

1693TA

Occupation
FAA Radar Engineer, (Retired)
Though not on a powered steering axle I have 10 tires like this tread pattern on my Mack. They wear, grip, and clean well and really don't round over on the steer axle. Mine are 16ply and General branded.

As TS mentions look for a tire that is steering position rated as the sidewalls are different than tires designed for a drive axle. All position tires are a compromise between the two but wear acceptably well.

1693TA

Occupation
FAA Radar Engineer, (Retired)
Surely could use something more open and aggressive on the steer in those conditions.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Had 4x4 and 6x6 trucks at the utility, were considered slow transport use and local where were untuly at highway speeds with same tires Fr and Rr. Generally had to back in where needed as steer plowed like was no bottom. 6x6s got rear rubber tracks. The powered steer axles proved out pretty useless with weight of the trucks.