• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

2003 F250SD with the 6.0L diesel How dependable

wornout wrench

:trdjk
I know we are off topic.
My old truck doesn't move that much anymore, all I really use it for is the occasional run to the garbage dump and for pulling my travel trailer. My wife will use it if she needs to make a grocery run and I have the car.
For what it does now, I will just keep it until it dies.

I bought it in 2002, it had just over 80K km on it. I'm just over 200K now.
Other than the usual consumables going on it, I have put 1 injection pump and 2 black boxes and a radiator.

My trailer weighs 5000 lbs empty. I don't go very fast when I am towing and you know when you are on a hill.

It has survived 3 kids driving it, 2 of them learned how to drive on it, it has been T boned on a cold frosty night when another car slide through a stop sign and pasted it right on the corner of the cab.

I was filled with gas one day by one of the kids, had to be towed home (I was working out of town at the time), possibly why the Injection pump went.

I disconnected the ABS years ago, it had issues where the brakes would just release for now reason and through the stop light you would go, never hit anybody but had to change my shorts a few times:eek:

I have a few electrical gremlins in the dash cluster right now. The high beam indicator will not work today, but is fine tomorow, the dash light on the tach side will not light, then start to work, the turn indicator on the left side will work but not the right. and then all is fine.

I love the body style of the 98, and the dash and controls. It is the Silverado package so nice interior, leather seats and all.

Knowing what I know now back then, would I have still bought it. Probably. The price was right.

When the time comes to replace it, no more diesels for me. Just not worth it anymore for the casual driving that I do.

If I had to replace it today, I would go with a Ford F-250 Superduty with the 6.2 gas in it.
I am still not a big ford fan, but we do run fords at work and the new ones have impressed me so far. ( I still think that 79 was the last year that ford built a real pickup truck. Just saying)

Okay, back on topic

Birken Vogt

Charter Member
When the time comes to replace it, no more diesels for me. Just not worth it anymore for the casual driving that I do.

If I had to replace it today, I would go with a Ford F-250 Superduty with the 6.2 gas in it.
I am still not a big ford fan, but we do run fords at work and the new ones have impressed me so far. ( I still think that 79 was the last year that ford built a real pickup truck. Just saying)

I dunno, my 86 6.9 I gave away and it is still going for occasional use, and my 97 7.3 has been a hoss of a truck, I am working on a replacement now but there is nothing major wrong with it, just want to get into something less worn before it does let go.

kb9tci

I reeeallly have never been a fan of a 6.0. I went against every gut feeling I had and picked up a 2006 with 89k miles on it after being talked into it by a very reputable Ford mechanic. Needed another service truck for the shop. I combed over that truck like crazy, and finally talked myself into it. What a f*&^ing bad idea.

Before it finished the hour drive home, it dumped antifreeze down the side of the truck.. :mad::Banghead:guns:guns:guns:badidea:badidea:badidea:duh:shf

90plow

Well i hope you have about 6 grand laying aroung for head gaskets. I have two right now and they are just too finicky to make good work trucks. Ill be selling one of them in the spring!

JDOFMEMI

Well, I had the misfortune of SIX of them, all new, and all bought before the troubles showed up. They run strong, when they run, but good luck keeping them running.

One got returned under the lemon law after 3 engines in the first 30,000 miles.

The rest were barely better. I have one left, and it is again on its last leg. They cost many thousands at a time when they break down, and never at a good time. As many times as I had to take my lowbed out after a dead one, I could have started my own towing company.

Ford was of little help during the warranty period, and less than no help after. One was in 7 times to make it to 100,000 miles. The best one made 200,000 miles with about 6 major malfunctions.

I hope to never see another one. If you gave me one, I would sell it at auction, because I would not want the complaints to come back to me.

I have seen at Ritchie Brothers auction two trucks in similar condition, same year, one Ford 6.0 and one Dodge 5.9. The Ford had substantially less miles, probably due to its frequent resting in the repair shop, and the Dodge bring $19,000 while the lower mile Ford brought $9,000.

That will tell you what you need to know.

maddog

Thanks again folks I think yall might have saved me a major headache. I have a duramax to go look at, I believe it's an 04 2500 model.

simonsrplant

Occupation
Heavy Duty Off Road RSE
After all the bad rep I was very against the idea of one, however for money restrictions at the time, a basic F550 with service body was all I could afford. I was pushed into it! Before I took the plunge I did some homework and constructive guesswork.
Its growing on me... 2003 6.0 6 speed. its fairly good on fuel, pulls well and to date, has not let me down.
It has 200k km and was always serviced/repaired at ford (ex finning cat) I use 0w40, archoil, and genuine ford or international parts if I need them, which makes it kind of pricey to maintain. Still cheaper than the payments on a newer truck. As soon as summer comes round I will be deleting the EGR cooler, which is said to be the stem of all the troubles. Whilst I'm in there I will consider a new oil cooler, cant afford the bulletproof kit just yet.
If anyone has a spare late 5.9 24v they would like to donate in the interests of going to and from work please pm me!!!

ship660

I have owned 20 of the 6.0 diesels from 03-07. Yes they have their issues the same as any other diesel truck out there. I do put studs, gaskets, oil coolers and egr delete kits on them. That does make them more dependable but not bulletproof. They will still have injector issues and high pressure pump problems. I do like the fact that people say run away from them that helps me buy them cheap! I have owned all the major brands and can't say I prefer any one over the other.