• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

2002 EC360BLC S/N 10284 WILL START AND DIE INTERMITTENTLY Please Help

1dominator

So the machine threw an error code 2 days ago, ( er32 ) I looked it up and it said that the hydraulic valve was malfunctioning. During the time of this code I was lifting a boulder that was very heavy and the machine was struggling to lift it then it would slowly drop.. Shortly thereafter the motor just stopped. I think it might have something to do with a fuel relay or solenoid but each time it starts now it only stays running for and intermittent period of time and then shuts off with no error code. Yesterday it ran for over an hour then as soon as I picked up a rock it shut down . today it ran for about 10 mins than shutdown again. it will start for a few mins and then shutdown. Any help would be greatly appreciated
Thank you!

sfrs4

Occupation
parts admin
Could the fuel cut off solenoid on the fuel pump be playing up? wiring issue or hopefully not an ECU fault

thepumpguysc

Occupation
Master Inj.Pump rebuilder
I think the key is the heavy boulder.. u possibly overloaded the hydros.. and now the ECU is shutting the machine down every time u use the hydro’s..
This is above my pay grade so I’ll bow out..
the ECU has the ability to shut the machine down..

1dominator

Thank you for your suggestions. I believe you're right the computer is shutting something down or it's one of the relays. I need to get a diagnostic tool to see what's happening. Wouldn't I still have a code present if the computer was shutting it down?

Thank you both very much for your help!
Aaron

thepumpguysc

Occupation
I don’t know what inj pump u have, but there should be a shut down solenoid on the inj pump itself.. find it and unplug it from the engine harness and run your own “hot wire”.. to the solenoid.. run the machine and see if it still shuts down..THAT will tell you if u have a solenoid that’s going bad when it gets warm or if it’s the ECU that’s shutting it down..

thepumpguysc

Occupation
Be sure to cap or tape off the engine hot wire.. u don’t want any sparks while testing.
Be sure to match the voltage on the solenoid and YOUR hot wire..
good luck

funwithfuel

Occupation
Mechanic
That should be a D12C or D . OHC electronic fuel injection. You're going to want to check relays above your battery box. Remove the 4 bolt plastic cover to access the relay box. Place a pan or mud trough under it before removing the cover screws. Carefully remove the cover, the relays might be stuck to it. You're focused on relays designated EMS & DATA. swap those horn and high speed travel. Obviously, use all the little screws that fell out to resecure everything. Good luck

funwithfuel

Occupation
Mechanic
F.W.F to the rescue.!!!
Just spit coffee all over laughing. I wouldn't go that far. Just a fool wit a box o tools.
Another thing to look at, the relay box has a pigtail coming out the bottom which leads to several connectors. Those connectors have a tendency to trap water and corrode the terminals inside.
Let's look at how she's shutting down. Is it sudden like someone dumped the clutch in 5th gear or is it controlled like someone turned off the ignition? Trying to determine if it's hydraulic, electric or engine . Please advise.

sfrs4

Occupation
parts admin
That should be a D12C or D . OHC electronic fuel injection. You're going to want to check relays above your battery box. Remove the 4 bolt plastic cover to access the relay box. Place a pan or mud trough under it before removing the cover screws. Carefully remove the cover, the relays might be stuck to it. You're focused on relays designated EMS & DATA. swap those horn and high speed travel. Obviously, use all the little screws that fell out to resecure everything. Good luck
Don't get to carried away just yet! it's a D10, to be precise its a Part No. 8188147, D10B EAE2 ; SER NO 10001-10446 from the machine card anyway. Hence I asked about the fuel shut of valve on the injection pump

sfrs4

Occupation
parts admin
fuel pump should look like this parts drawing or the one I have off a D10 Dumper engine.

Attachments

• D10B fuel pump.pdf
    44.1 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0450.JPG
    IMG_0450.JPG
    384.1 KB · Views: 3

funwithfuel

Occupation
Mechanic
I stand corrected, you are right sir. I totally forgot about those morphodites. That's got that goofy 2 chamber shut-off valve. I thought that was strictly in the older E series loaders. Still, they either work or don't, I don't recall them shutting down in operation, have you experienced that?

funwithfuel

Occupation
Mechanic
Ahh, but I do remember them constantly having issues with needle lift sensor fault, after warm up which would trigger shut down. But OP states, no error codes?

sfrs4

Occupation
parts admin
I personally haven't heard of any real problems with the shutoff solenoid, I was going down the route in my head of why would it shut down without an error code and that was the first thing I came to as the ecu might think its just a normal operation and not flag anything.

funwithfuel

Occupation
Mechanic
The MDUs weren't great at logging errors if it wasn't active at the moment. A contronics box would at least give indication of what happened if anything. I miss those fragile little boxes.

sfrs4

Occupation
parts admin
the D10 and that era of machine is in my mind the best era of Volvo equipment, on the turn of the electronic era but still " fix it with a hammer and a set of spanners" first of the new age ADT's nice comfort cabs but still old school tech same with excavators and shovels.