• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

2002 d5g losing fan belts

watglen

Occupation
Farmer, drainage and excavating contractor, Farm d
My d5g is spitting out the fan belts. No obvious problems seen. I had another machine doing the same thing one time. Turned out the tensioner would seize momentarily and shred belts.
Could the dozer have the same issue?

stumpjumper83

Occupation
Movin dirt
watglen, that would be where I would start lookin. Case 1845c's would do that and 9 out of 10 it was the belt tensioners. bearing prolly gets hot and seizes, the cools off and frees up

3rdGenDslWrench

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Field Mechanic/ Truck Mechanic/Aut
Wat, I know its kinda hard to check but it's possible that your crank balancer is bad if it has one. Had that problem a few years back...re packed the fan bearings, replaced the tensioner checked everything else that was belt driven and it still threw belts. Even went so far as to measure end play on the crank which was not bad at all. Replaced the harmonic balancer and it stopped throwing belts

bobin35

Put a new belt on and run the machine for a while then remove the belt and look for unusual wear on it.

watglen

Occupation
Farmer, drainage and excavating contractor, Farm d
This was an easy one to fix. Previous owner had installed two different belts, an unmatched pair. The longer one kept jumping off.
Install a proper matched pair and the problem is gone.