• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

2002 Cummins 4-390 engine???

stefuel

I'm assuming in 2002 that this engine is 100% mechanical injection. I think this engine even has a mechanical camshaft driven lift/fuel pump similar to a fuel pump on a old small block Chevy. Anyway, I'm told that it starts right up and runs well but then randomly shuts down. So I guess there is two directions to look. The fuel shut-off solenoid/wiring/power or fuel delivery system. If it runs fine until it quits, I'm guessing the injection pump is not the problem unless there's a fuel strainer that is clogged at the inlet of the pump. Am i missing anything on a older 4-390 engine that would cause random shutdowns???

thepumpguysc

Occupation
Master Inj.Pump rebuilder
Your on the right track..
1) shut off solenoid on the pump.
2) 12v power supply TO the solenoid..
3) depending on how it shuts down, dirty filters..

1) u CAN run a 12v power wire straight from the battery TO the solenoid.. that’ll eliminate the intermittent power supply..
2) u can take the guts out of the solenoid, spring and plunger..
That will also eliminate the solenoid problem..
If it still shuts down, u have a fuel/filter problem..
Good luck & Merry Christmas.!!!

Vetech63

It's a Cummins 4BT3.9 in a Case dress. The engine serial number will not come up in Cummins system but a lot of times the Cummins part number will be stamped on most parts. Case does this so they can charge you $500 for a belt tensioner that Cummins sells for $150. Been down this road many times................

mekanik

I have seen a Cummins 5.9 B series do the exact same thing. It turned out to be the lift/fuel pump.
I replaced the diaphragm type lift pump with an updated plunger type pump. Problem solved.

Tinkerer

I always thought the exact machine needs to be known, so that the fuel line routing, screens, filters and even a lift pump can be looked at to diagnose a problem.
But, I guess if a person is absolutely certain the problem is in the pump nothing else is needed to know.

Txhayseed

Didn't say how it dies. Just shuts off instantly ? Chugs to a stop with smoke ? Starts right back up with no issues ? Starts back up after cranking the starter till it catches ?? The diagnostics are always in the details the more you can provide the better.