• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

2002 Cat 246 questions

Eclipze

Hello all,

My name is Jason and I'm new to the forum. I am from Barbados in the Caribbean.

I recently purchased a 2002 Cat 246 (serial # 5SZ009**) in working condition but with a few issues. I received it with the right joystick grip missing, joystick valves leaking , wires cut and lots of loose play. I have been searching for grips online but haven't found any. I was also looking for a used Joystick assembly but I have only found for the 246B. I am not sure if its the same or if I can work on the 246. Is there anything I can do with this or must I purchase a new assembly from CAT.

Secondly the aux hydraulic lines are missing and the console panels In the roof are also missing. I just have a keyswitch and a toggle switch to turn on the headlights. Is there anywhere i can contact for these items that would ship to Barbados?

The machine drives and is very strong. Just that these things bother me a bit.
Thanks.
Jason

heymccall

For parts and some service info, register at AVSPARE . Com

I use it all the time. Parts catalog and a lot of sis web(service) info. It's a little odd getting used to how to search, but nearly everything is in there.

Or, instead, register with your closest Caterpillar dealer. Parts catalog online is free that way, too.

Eclipze

Thank you. I will try all the above this weekend. Im a DIY kind of person, i like to learn about everything i own. I have to figure out why the bucket has so much side to side play and how to fix it and prevent in future

rshackleford

I've got a Cat 246B question so I hope it's appropriate to add to this thread.

I need an engine or at least I think I do. The engine is a Cat 3044C-T Arrangement 179-1854

My shop mechanic tells me the crankshaft is walking in the engine. I would assume that the crankshaft has some type of race in the block and this race is damaged; regardless this engine has a long and sad history. I don't want to work on it in house anymore.

Can it be rebuilt or used as a core? Is there someone that specializes in rebuilding?

I am finding engines mostly in the $9000 range. Is this what I really can expect to spend?

Is there a different engine that fits right in that would be less expensive?

heymccall

Crankshaft "walk" is controlled by thrust bearing material on one of the main bearing shells.
What leads them to conclude that the crankshaft is "walking"?

rshackleford

This gets into a bit more detail than I know. They say it turns by hand very nicely but when assembled and operated it has a horrible clatter. I believe the engine was then disassembled and on closer inspection, the "walking" was discovered.

Not being much of a mechanic "main bearing" was indeed the term I was looking for. I believe that due to lack of lubrication the main bearing has failed.

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
Not being much of a mechanic "main bearing" was indeed the term I was looking for. I believe that due to lack of lubrication the main bearing has failed.
Are they running the engine with one or more (of 5) main bearings failed.?
The specification for end float of the crankshaft on that engine is 0.004-0.010". What does your engine have..?

The thrust washer that controls the end-float of the crankshaft is circled.

upload_2019-12-17_14-47-15.png

Last edited:

rshackleford

This is getting more in-depth than my knowledge or data from our in house mechanic.

If we could ignore the potential to rebuild the engine I'd like to focus on if $9,000 is really what I should expect to pay on a reman or if there are other engine options that essentially fit in this machine.