• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

2002 963C drive problems

GregsHD

Occupation
Self Employed HD Mechanic
Hi,
This 963C (Ser no. 0963T2DS02599) which has the brilliant non tilting cab is causing grief. When turning hard either way it stops and the idiot light flashes, put it back in neutral and it comes back to life, as long as you never fully depress either steering pedal it will run all day with no problems. Got 7 codes off the display, would like to know what they all are please! 030 96.03, 030 600.08, 079 134.07, 079 135.07, 079 168.04, 079 469.12, 079 471.12. I know most of them are probably old news. The machine never had this problem before both it's drive pumps were replaced, not sure what else was played with while they were in there. Its got over 12k Hrs on it and it lives in a landfill...
Thanks,
Greg

GregsHD

Occupation
but I'd bet two of them relate to the pedal position sensor signals going out of range, from what you're saying about when you push either steering pedal to the floor.

That would make sense, it all started after the cab was removed to re&re the pumps, so thinking wiring/connection issues. Or might be rodent related, which is always fun!
Thanks,
Greg

Cmark

The relevant ones are 134.07 &135.07 RH and LH steering manifold solenoids, not responding and 469.12 & 471.12 LH and RH forward solenoids, bad device.

Has the machine been calibrated since the repair? If not, I'd start with that.

If that doesn't help then I'd say you're on the right lines suspecting a wiring issue. Its actually pretty difficult to screw things up when plugging the solenoids in due to the run of the wiring harness. One place where you can go wrong though is with the left and right pilot pressure sensors. They both have (If i remember correctly) 3 pin plugs and the only difference between them is the colour of the wires, so it's possible to get them plugged in wrong. This can cause all kinds of weird behaviour.

It took me around 4 hours to track that one down. :)

Bob/Ont

It is most likely the fine adjustment of the pump controls aswell as the control calibration. There is a lot of setup adjustment to get the controls responding properly. That needs to be right or you have all kinds of grief. We found only the Cat Rebuilds where Plug and Play. The ones we rebuilt would never set up right due to rebuilder error or lack of patients.
Later Bob

GregsHD

Occupation
Thanks for the replies, do you need Cat ET to calibrate the controls? I believe the pumps were jobber, i'll check into that..
Thanks again,
Greg

Cmark

Calibrations are done via the switches under the RH armrest. No ET necessary. It is, however, fairly complicated. I would expect that whoever did the work for you should do the calibrations as a matter of course.

GregsHD

Occupation
Calibrations are done via the switches under the RH armrest. No ET necessary. It is, however, fairly complicated. I would expect that whoever did the work for you should do the calibrations as a matter of course.

The machine is not mine, the company had their own mechanic that did the work. I'm an independent mechanic, just not familiar with the electronic end of the C models. We don't really use track loaders around here except for landfills. I'm liking the B models more and more! I would like to know the calibration procedure if it's not to much bother.
Thanks,
Greg

GregsHD

Occupation
Just an update on this unit.. Went through the calibration procedure and it says everything is proper but still acts the same, The only part I couldn't do was full track speed as the ground was frozen and way to hard on me and machine to go that fast! I'll have to check the pilot pressure sensor wiring next time i'm out, the operator phoned me yesterday and said it's loosing drive power now, just like before the pumps were replaced (which were aftermarket...) I'm in need of specs for checking the pump/pilot pressures etc if anyone has them handy? I'm going to pull the filters and dissect..
Thanks,
Greg

GregsHD

Occupation
The best way to do the full track speed is to jack up the machine. Easy if you have a ripper on it.

Yeah I thought of that, no ripper on this unit. Maybe I'll wait until the 330 is on site to lift up the ass end. Have I mentioned I hate these C models?? :Banghead

RTTR

Occupation
Shop Owner, of mechanic shop for Ag and Ind. Eq.
963C with the same problem.

Hi,
I am a newly register man to this site. I also own an Independent equipment repair shop. I just recently had the cab off, and the drive pumps out and rebuilt by a well know pump shop in our area. This was done due to the splitter box being run out of oil and locking up. The pumps were rebuilt due to the heat turning the input shafts blue. I now have the machine back together and running. The machine tracks straight and is strong. But I too have the problem with the machine coming to a dead stop when the right or left steering pedals are pushed to the floor. My local dealer has not been any help to me, I am asking if anyone would take the time to share with me the calibration procedure that is performed with the switches under the right armrest. I am not sure of the year but the serial number is V2DS03078.
Thanks in advance.
Rob,

oldgold69

my boss has a 963 it would move forward and back try to turn it would turn one way (right) it would turn (left) it would start then stop cat tech checked pressures right would stall engine and pressure would blow off into the hydro tank (left) would just hold no pressure come to find out left drive motor needs to be rebuilt

Brandon963c

Hi,
This 963C (Ser no. 0963T2DS02599) which has the brilliant non tilting cab is causing grief. When turning hard either way it stops and the idiot light flashes, put it back in neutral and it comes back to life, as long as you never fully depress either steering pedal it will run all day with no problems. Got 7 codes off the display, would like to know what they all are please! 030 96.03, 030 600.08, 079 134.07, 079 135.07, 079 168.04, 079 469.12, 079 471.12. I know most of them are probably old news. The machine never had this problem before both it's drive pumps were replaced, not sure what else was played with while they were in there. Its got over 12k Hrs on it and it lives in a landfill...
Thanks,
Greg
Hi Greg, i know this thread is years ago, but do you recall if you are they ever figured this problem out on this 963 i have one we did the same thing to put new pumps and motors in and its doing this, they were all cat remans. Any input is much appreciated!