• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

2001 Volvo EC 160 shows error code 201 and 206

larsba

Hi.

My neighbor has a Volvo EC 160 B made in 2001, and just after he bought it showed the following error codes:

ERROR 201: System
ERROR 206: No teach in

I found the user manual for a newer Volvo EW 160 where I found some more information:

For ERROR 201 the manual says error code refers to NO CAN BUS. Is this a well known issue, and do you have any suggestions on where to start? Can the pins on the CAN BUS connector have broken, should I suspect a broken wire somewhere else... ?

It seems like the 206 code is some sort of calibration routine which must be run after reset or similar. I assume this should be an easy fix?

Furthermore, I saw someone had jumped some circuits, see attached picture. Pin X3-5 (Battery feed to keyboard, A35) has been hotwired into pin X3-7 (Not in use?). When this jump is disconnected, the display turns black. Does anybody knows why this is done?

I can also see that the Schottky rectifiers on X6 and X4 have been moved from the main circuit board from the walls of the ECU box itsealf. This appears to be done after production and definetively looks like a hack. When I see the schematics of newer Volvos, they are moved there so I suspect it is a retrofit from Volvo.

Thanks in advance,
Lars
IMG_20230402_162354_MP.jpg

uffex

Occupation
Admin
Good day Lars
Your post suggests the machine in need of a teach in, is there a chance one of the ECU's have been replaced ?
Kind regards
Uffex

larsba

Good day Lars
Your post suggests the machine in need of a teach in, is there a chance one of the ECU's have been replaced ?
Kind regards
Uffex
Hi Uffex,
thanks for your reply.

I am not sure if the ECU has been replaced, but the one installed has certainly been taken out and then been put back in. One of the schottky rectifiers had its wire ripped off when someone before me opened the ECU, so I have soldered on a new Schottky rectifier.

Best,
Lars

uffex

Occupation
Admin
Good day
From what I gather from your post you may be better to get the local dealer plug on a lap top, I guess you do not have any error codes on the display.
Kind regards
Uffex

uffex

Occupation
Admin
Hi Lars
Be sure you have not selected manual mode switch, attached some information may be of help.
Kind regards
Uffex

Attachments

• EC160B Control.pdf
    125.2 KB · Views: 28

larsba

Good day
From what I gather from your post you may be better to get the local dealer plug on a lap top, I guess you do not have any error codes on the display.
Kind regards
Uffex
Hi again Uffex

Thank you for your tips! I have attached images of the display when the hotwire mentioned in the previous post is done.

I will check the manual mode switch!

Attachments

• IMG_20230216_201839_MP.png
    IMG_20230216_201839_MP.png
    244.1 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_20230216_201917_MP.png
    IMG_20230216_201917_MP.png
    236.2 KB · Views: 4

larsba

Hi Lars
Be sure you have not selected manual mode switch, attached some information may be of help.
Kind regards
Uffex
This jumper is what you refer to when you talk about manual mode switch?

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-04-12 at 21.45.56.png
    Screenshot 2023-04-12 at 21.45.56.png
    140.1 KB · Views: 8

uffex

Occupation
Admin
Good day Lars
See attached may be worth a check.
Kind regards
Uffex

Attachments

• EC160B Manual cont.pdf
    1.9 MB · Views: 27

larsba

Good day Lars
See attached may be worth a check.
Kind regards
Uffex
Hi again uffex.

I got it wrong, it is a EC 160 P, not B.
I can not find the auto manual switch, the drawings you sent seems to be a newer machine.

uffex

Occupation
Admin
Good day Lars
If this is the machine, it puts a different solution on the table. I would like to avoid giving you a bum steer could you check to see the label will say made in Konz Germany see attached of the display.
Kind regards
Uffex
1681590208474.png

uffex

Occupation
Admin
Good day Lars
Sorry if I did not take your earlier post into account must be my old age. I will put some information together hopefully make a fix.
Kind regards
Uffex

uffex

Occupation
Admin
Good day Lars
See attached, if setting the revs fails you will need to beg>borrow a Contronic tool to make the teach in, see attached.
Kind regards
Uffex

Attachments

• EC160 ThrottleControl.pdf
    223.5 KB · Views: 28
  • Teach in.pdf
    401.2 KB · Views: 31

larsba

Hi. I have the same issue.
Did you find the solution for the problem?
Thanks.
Hi, unfortunately I didn't find the issue. We discovered that the machine was put in emergency mode, when we put it back in normal mode nothing worked except the RPM on the display.
Have you found out anything?
Thanks

larsba

So, the machine was put in emergency/low power mode. When it was turned back to normal mode, none of the hydraulic were working, with the same fault codes. Does this give you any clues @uffex ?

uffex

Occupation
Admin
Good day Lars
Check the fuse's it appears that the control lock out is not working, the only way I know of re-setting the ECU is to use the contronic tool. Have you a helpful dealer chances are he has one gathering dust.
Kind regards
Uffex

larsba

Good day Lars
Check the fuse's it appears that the control lock out is not working, the only way I know of re-setting the ECU is to use the contronic tool. Have you a helpful dealer chances are he has one gathering dust.
Kind regards
Uffex
Thank you! Where might I find this fuse? Is it in the main fuse box, or is it in one on the main board as well?