• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

2001 Bobcat 873 Problem

Tourniers

I have a bobcat 873 that started having problems with the bucket movement jerking and then stops when it gets warm outside. Any suggestions on what to look for???

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
I have to ask, have you made sure it's not low on hyd oil? They will have a jerking movement when they get low. :)

Willis Bushogin

Occupation
owner
just wanting to steal this thread, but it is for a Bobcat 873. I think its a 1999, I bought it a few months ago and I havent used it since I bought it, I have been doing cosmetic stuff to get
Everytime I ran it (about 4 times) it has a problem with the bucket (raising) until yesterday the top/LH console would flash and beep, when trying to push the green hyd button in, so the bucket would raise. Most of the time, it will start working. Now there is no lights on this panel, its like it lost power, I have no idea how to check this and the screws/bolts holding this panel in place, will not come out. I hope the fuse panel is not in this panel
it does have hyd fluid and the bucket tilts, works
Helpppppp Bobcat wants $100 a hr.

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
That console on the left is the BICS console Willis, fuse/relay panel is under that cover behind your feet when you're sitting in seat. Are you saying that now none of the green LED's light up?

Willis Bushogin

Occupation
owner
I checked it myself today and there is no power in the fuse box
Im thinking the lights on the upper panel worked at first (when I got it) when you turned the key switch on, so no lights on the upper LH & RH consoles
I didnt spend much time on this today, it there a simple way to check the power source to the fuse box
Thanks for all the help

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
Well Willis, I hate to tell ya this, but the words "simple" and "Bobcat" won't work in the same sentence. :tong

No power at fuse box, no power at key switch or BICS panel, you need to start at the battery, of course you already knew that. But look closely at the stud than connects ground wires to the ground terminal of battery. Once you have confirmed ground wires are in good order, check the positive wiring.

There should be a good size gauge, maybe 10 ga, wire that comes off the positive battery terminal and goes to a master fuse, located in a small black plastic box, just above the battery. Make sure positive voltage is traveling through the master fuse and continuing out the other side.

Check the positive wiring connections at the starter, where the positive battery cable connects, there should be two, maybe three, other power wires connect to that terminal on starter. I once had a Bobcat doing goofy things, discovered one of those power wires had a bad crimp on the wire. Had good voltage on the terminal, but probe the wire just after leaving terminal and it was dead.

If you've determined all this is good, pull the fuse panel out and confirm the power supply wire going to it is dead. If it is, you're, sadly, likely going to have to run down the main harness coming from the battery compartment, that big red wire at that master fuse. Bobcat did something really stupid in that harness, they sent that big wire into the harness, then before it terminates somewhere, they split that wire into separate circuits, within the harness, to feed power to fuse box, ECU, etc.

I'm hoping it's something way more simple than digging into that harness. Remember, like I said, simple and Bobcat don't work in the same sentence.

Keep us posted. ;)

Last edited: