• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

2000 Sterling - which slack adjuster?

JTWAT

Have a 2000 Sterling LT9500. Brake adjustment keeps backing off. Removed one of the slack adjusters that was not holding.
It is a Gunite type with 5.5" length. Question is: I measured the distance between center of S cam shaft and the pin in the chamber shaft and it's 6". Called Freightliner and gave them the VIN., they say it should be 5.5". So which length should I use? Confused!

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
That brake chamber rod can move around quite a bit, I wouldn't use it to obtain a dimension. If the other slack adjusters are the same as the faulty one, Gunite with 5.5" length, then go with that. In any case make sure all slack adjusters are the same length from S cam shaft to clevis hole, if they're not, some are longer, then the longer ones will have more brake leverage and things will not be equal.