• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

20 year old CAT 140G vs a NEW MITSUBISHI GRADER

CAT920 Driver

Occupation
Director of Small-scale Mining, Transport, Plant
I hope to get some direction on what to buy.
A refurbished CAT140g (1987 to 1995) will cost me $115 000 +14% VAT about (ZAR 1100000 TO R1250000+VAT).
Vs
A new 2014 Mitsubishi at $ 200 000 + 14% Vat (about ZAR 1950 000+VAT)

Use
1) Undertake regravelling projects
2) plant hire to other road and civil contractors.
In most instances the grader will work in a team of either grader, roller, watertruck or also excavator and 4 to 6 tippers.
3) My main concern is that I don't want downtime as I can't afford it but also in 4 years the Value of a Mitsubishi will be about 50% of what I paid but with a Cat140g it will most likely lose 20% value.

in SA the 140H and more especially K is not a very well liked grader due to electronic faults. Most contractors and operators swear by the 140g. To add to it my friend's 140H is down for 1 month now as it won't go front or back. The entire loom is being replaced since the fault can't be found. And this ain't the first time. I remember towing the 140H back to camp twice as it had short circuit.

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
It's not a reliability issue as I see it, it's one of "maintainability" bearing in mind the skill level of the maintenance staff available to work on it. All the electronics are fine but you need the right tools and more importantly the right people to drive those tools. I agree with my learned friend above, based on what you're saying why isn't the 140G already ordered..? The answer to your dilemma is a no-brainer as far as I'm concerned.

ovrszd

Occupation
Retired Army
I know nothing about the Mitsubishi. So can't do a direct comparison. But I'd certainly not be afraid of the CAT, it's proven. The 85,000 still in your pocket will feel pretty good as well. Post pics and a story whichever way you go!!!

lantraxco

Old is gold when it comes to being able to keep them running when you're far from factory support, and parts for a not that old CAT should be readily available from Europe instead of Japan.

CAT920 Driver

Occupation
I'm not doubtful of CAT 140G, just the fact that it If I buy one it will be 20 years old (although refurbed) compared to new. Just don't want to end up with costly breakdowns. Will think it over again.

JDOFMEMI

Think of the electronic problems on the H series Cat, then remember it is at least 10 years old. The new Mitsu will likely have even more electronics on it.

Keep in mind there is a good reason why the Mitsu will loose 50% of its value in 4 years while the Cat will only loose 20%

If you maintain a Cat grader, you will get very good service from it, especially the G series. The 3306 engine is one of the best ever, and will be supported as long as there is any industry left in the world.

My current blade is a 1980's vintage 14G, and I have no desire for a newer one.

Diagonal Brace

Didn't Mitsu used to make graders under the license of Caterpillar? Not really relevant I guess but they must have learned a thing or 2.

Anyways like Nige says its all good if you have someone able to troubleshoot the electronics

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
Anyways like Nige says its all good if you have someone able to troubleshoot the electronics

DB, the problem in the African bush (I know, I worked there for many years) is that there is a big likelihood that even if there is someone in the maintenance department qualified to drive the diagnostic tools the tools themselves will probably not be available. That's why when you're talking about machinery, outside the big mining operations it's still a bit Steam Age.

CAT920 Driver

Occupation
I have decided to go for a CAT. A Reputable dealer sells refurbished Cats in Johannesburg. I am now hesitant between a G and H. I have been offered a fair trade in on my BELL B25 ADT by this dealer so I am hoping to buy within a month.
By the way my brother is also buying a New Mitsubishi now as they're trading in our old Powerscreen so it will be a good test.
I will run a CAT vs his MITSUBISHI!

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
If reliability is a main concern, why are you even asking? Why isn't the cat already ordered?

Not having any experience with graders but looking at it from the point of reliability in a region where dealer support and parts could be a problem my uneducated opinion would be to go with the older Cat. Bells and whistles of new equipment are nice when they are working but when they stop, as your friend can tell you, can be a major problem.

Where I'm located we a 30 minutes from a fairly well stocked dealer who has overnight availability of 90+% parts so we can live with problems that someone in a less accessible location like yours can not.

kshansen

Occupation
I have decided to go for a CAT. A Reputable dealer sells refurbished Cats in Johannesburg. I am now hesitant between a G and H. I have been offered a fair trade in on my BELL B25 ADT by this dealer so I am hoping to buy within a month.
By the way my brother is also buying a New Mitsubishi now as they're trading in our old Powerscreen so it will be a good test.
I will run a CAT vs his MITSUBISHI!

To add to what I wrote before. One thing I always say is every wire has two ends that can become a poor connection and a middle that can rub somewhere and break or short out. Every hose is a leak waiting to start at the worst possible time. So if one machine has less wires or hoses it stands to reason with everything else being equal it will be the more reliable. Maybe not the fastest, most comfortable or easiest to operate but it will be out working while the other is sitting waiting for that little relay that failed or waiting for the technician to travel a few hours to plug in the computer to re-calibrate some sensor that was moved a bit to far due to a bolt coming loose.

kshansen

Occupation
I mentioned the part about the sensor as we had a stone come over the top of bucket on our 988H and break the bucket tilt sensor off. The sensor is guarded with heavy cover and the only real damage was to the mounting bolts. Got the broken bolts out and re-installed the assembly thinking we would be set to go. But as the sensor had rotated beyond the normal range it caused the ECM to shut down the hydraulics. This was before we had access to a lap top with Cat ET. We had to pay for a dealer mechanic to come out and run through a five minute re-calibration to get back in service. Lucky for us the accident happened in the afternoon and dealer had man available with-in the hour so we were set to go in the morning. Would hate to think what a simple problem like that would cause if you were a couple hundred miles out in the brush with spotty communications!

CAT920 Driver

Occupation
Going to see CATS in a few weeks. Btw. We are in Durban South Africa. The Barloworld CAT dealership is 60km from us and its reasonably developed here. However we do go out of town to do work which may take us up to 300km away from The major cities on average.

MitchSA

Might be a bit late but have you had a look what Volvo has to offer? Babcock is the agent for them and have a pretty big workshop in Durban. I worked for them in East London.

DoosanFan

Occupation
Forester
I would stay away from the Volvo personally; brake and electronic failures are not your friend, especially considering the number of accidents that seem to be happening lately involving runaway equipment in rural areas.
It will be interesting to see the comparison between the Cat and the Mitsubishi; I've seen quite a few Mitsu's around Maritzburg.
Bearing this in mind, Hidromek recently acquired Mitsubishi Graders, and last I knew were working on a new design for them. Any body heard anything new or more recent than last year?

CAT920 Driver

Occupation
Hi
The New Mitsubishi MG460 is apparently very robust with minimal electronics. We have yet to take delivery. I am not a fan of Volvo graders as well. Have seen them stripped too often. The Mitsubishis are R1.3m less than a CAT but only problem is the resale sucks. We have ordered 1 new Mitsubishi and I will still get 1 CAT 140G or H. Which company are you from?

DoosanFan

Occupation
Forester
Yeah, I knew a guy who started with a few G940Bs, and ended up only having one working; the rest were sitting in his yard keeping the last one running. I currently am a student forester with Mondi, and despite my age, or lack thereof, I have seen and heard a lot. The resale might suck, but at the price you buy it now, it'll keep up with the Cat and earn you the same money, but cost you less. Besides, the operators I have spoken to would rather operate anything that's new, even a Longgong, other than an old G because of how it buggers up their bodies. Now you know why the district roads are in such poor state, at least around the midlands :rolleyes:
What is your company?