• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

20 ton tag with electric brakes

Truck Shop

Anything made by Premier has Premier cast into it. Vendors are normally equipment/truck dealers or
trailer manufacturers.

Spud_Monkey

Occupation
Decommissioned
that is one of those places where something being overbuilt is a great thing, not a waste.
I was looking at the thickness of it on my dump truck versus the thickness of the hitch plate I fabricated my traveling house, I went way overboard. Going to unbolt it and mount it on the dump truck, I'm sure it will fit. Don't see a half inch thick plate of steel holding over 20k lbs.

skyking1

on the dump truck it is all welded and knife plated on the back. It is not just a plate hanging out there oilcanning with the loads.

suladas

IF you think you ever might pull a lighter trailer behind the truck, weld on a 2.5" receiver when you do the new plate. That and an electric controller lets you pull anything. I did it on my truck and it is very handy. Much better than loading my mini on the 20 ton. Here you can see that compensator that closes with air against the side of the big pintle.
View attachment 261481 View attachment 261480

JMO if he's starting from scratch, I would measure hitch height on trailer he has now and try to use one hitch for multiple trailers. I pull my 25 ton tag and light 10 ton with my dump on the same pintle, the height works out perfect as it's the same height as the pintle on my pickup. One hitch for everything.

Your pintle looks identical to mine, with how bad the roads are here I can't believe they stand up, I am loading around 14,000lbs on the pin and trailer weights around 66,000lbs, after some of those bumps it's amazing the hitch takes it. I believe the plate on mine is 1" though.

suladas

on the dump truck it is all welded and knife plated on the back. It is not just a plate hanging out there oilcanning with the loads.

Yep absolutely need that for the big loads, and need to be careful how it loads on the frame. I bet the hitch on mine weights like 1000lbs easy there is a lot of steel there I don't think any of it is under 1/2".

skyking1

IF you look at that hitch on my truck, that trailer I have behind it would not fit at all on a big pintle. The ring is too small it is only a 7 ton trailer. With the 2.5" receiver added on, you can tow anything else.

suladas

IF you look at that hitch on my truck, that trailer I have behind it would not fit at all on a big pintle. The ring is too small it is only a 7 ton trailer. With the 2.5" receiver added on, you can tow anything else.

That's weird, I had a tandem 14k and now a triple 21k and both pintle rings fit into my 40 ton pintle just fine. Yea it gives you the option of a ball hitch if that's something you want, but I can't say I do, pintle is way better.

skyking1

the hitch height is 15" difference. The way I have it set up, I can tow my little trailer with either the 1 ton service truck or the dump truck and not change a thing. It's handy because my little trailer has torsion axles and you have to tow it flat or it eats whatever tire is lower.

roadrunner81

Occupation
Managing member KSR Excavating, LLC
IF you think you ever might pull a lighter trailer behind the truck, weld on a 2.5" receiver when you do the new plate. That and an electric controller lets you pull anything. I did it on my truck and it is very handy. Much better than loading my mini on the 20 ton. Here you can see that compensator that closes with air against the side of the big pintle.
View attachment 261481 View attachment 261480
pac pride canyon rd

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
I received the KW with a four bolt pattern at rear, than became a Hidden Pin Cat 4 hitch position. I have a Six Pin round and a Seven Pin flat plug at the rear that have electric brake circuits, standard Seven Pin round in Tractor Trailer cord. ALL towing options on this.
IMG_0628.JPG