• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

1999 Cat 416E IT. No Heat? Heater valve location?

BlazinSS934

I have a 416E IT with no heat. I'm pretty sure the heater valve got turned off when Cat was here to service the machine. Any idea where I can find it? I checked the cable operated remote valve to regulate the temperature,located above the rear axle. It operates freely. Any help would be appreciated I went thru two brutal winters with no heat
8be279644b2e23edc9ed5cb7473628fe.jpg
that's a frozen foot

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
Here's what the heater lines should look like. This is from a 420E but they ought to be close if not identical. There is no valve shown other than the control valve over the rear axle which is installed in the gap between the 2 hoses at the top left (ringed in red). I would check where the hoses come out of the engine block, shown as Area B, just to make sure that nobody has sneaked a shuftoff valve in there. If you find no valve then the next step would be to disconnect the feed and return hoses at the cylinder block and try to blow through one of them. It should blow coolant out of the other. If it doesn't then either your control valve that you say operates freely is somehow closed or you have a blockage somewhere else.

420 Heater Lines.png

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
Blazin a 1999 won't be an E model, it should be a C model or the year is wrong.

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
Tried looking on SIS but 416E is to generic to be of much help seems there are several versions and options within each of those. Might stand a better chance with complete S/N.

Also include note on if it has Air or any numbers you might see on or near the heeter.

El Hombre

We should turn this into an electrical question. To make it easier for the non-technical to understand, it's been common to use water flowing to explain electric flow. That's how I was taught back when the earth hadn't yet cooled.

So if we express it in terms of volts, amps, watts, I'm sure the OP will understand and know what to do....

kshansen

Occupation
I just want to be sure what the set-up is before I try to make too many suggestions.

Some Cats I worked on used very basic water flow valves in heater box then others used fancy electronic "stepper motor" controlled water valves. Then there is the possibility that the water side is working just fine but the system has a "blend door" in the system to control the heat output. And last but not least many machines have manual shut off valves right at the connection to the engine! Some nasty SOB could have turned one or both off just for "fun".

Just remembered one more common failure mode, dirt or trash stopping air flow through the air side of the heater core itself, can be sickening to see the trash in the cabs of some equipment.

BlazinSS934

This machine has seperate AC unit located a over the operators station. That system works perfect. The heating system has a 3 speed switch located by the ignition key. And a temperature dial

El Hombre

Did anyone over dose the cooling system with Stop Leak? Or is the coolant rusty? My old Ford PU had a previous owner that didn't believe in coolant changes, so it was like tomato soup, and it started rusting the freeze plugs so the Stop Leak.

Froze my ass off first winter trip. Disconnected the heater hoses from the engine and shot 50psi water into the hoses. No flow in either direction. Bought a new $20 heater core and that fixed it. The old core was probably twice as heavy as the new one with all the rust and stop leak packed in there.

I had just had the engine completely rebuilt a couple of months earlier, and to have a warranty I had to install a new radiator or recore the existing one. So that heater core was the last piece that touched coolant that I hadn't replaced.

I would try shooting water into the hoses and see what kind of flow, if any, you get. Non contact thermometer with the laser is great for this kind of diagnosis. Just point the laser and pull the trigger and you know how hot it is. I would of killed to have had one 40 years ago....

BlazinSS934

Just to follow up on this. Problem solved, heater valve were left off by the service tech. Cat found it when they came to do the 6000 Hr service. I was on vacation and wasnt there yo ask them the location of the valves

kshansen

Occupation
Just to follow up on this. Problem solved, heater valve were left off by the service tech. Cat found it when they came to do the 6000 Hr service. I was on vacation and wasnt there yo ask them the location of the valves.

Might they be talking about the valves right at the engine where the heater hoses are connected? Most if not all machines have either one or two simple valves located there.