• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

1998 763 not getting fuel

sierradmax

While working at my house, my machine appeared to run out of fuel. The gauge read 1/2 a tank. I did the usual prime bulb but this time, I was pumping air. I traced the line to just under the hydraulic pump where it enters the top of the tank. I pulled it out of the tank and there appears to be a rubber hose that was attached. What was left of the rubber (1˝) can be easily picked apart. Can I just use a length of fuel hose? Is there a prefilter? Does anoyone know the part numbers? Thanks

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
It's a common problem on Bobcat skids sierradmax, fuel pick up line in tank eventually gives up. But you can't use typical rubber fuel hose, installation procedure won't allow it. And don't use typical vinyl tubing, it gets hard really quick when submerged in diesel fuel. I can't remember what the tubing Bobcat uses is called, but it's not vinyl tubing.

Simply get some new tubing from your Bobcat dealer, the strainer/check ball that goes on end of tubing, two hose retainer rings, new seal grommet, and if you presently have a plastic elbow that tubing connects to, replace it with a metal elbow from Bobcat.

Installation goes like this. Slip a retainer ring on end of tubing. Lubricate hose barb on strainer with petroleum jelly, push barb into tubing. Slip new grommet over opposite end of tubing about an inch, slip another retainer ring on end of tubing, lube hose barb on elbow fitting, push barb into tubing. Rub some petrol jelly on tubing between grommet and elbow. Drop strainer into hole in top of tank, slip remaining tubing into tank until seal grommet is at hole in tank. Use a dull screwdriver to push grommet into hole in tank. Once grommet is fitted, push elbow attached to tubing into grommet. Connect your fuel hose and you're good to go.

sierradmax

I stopped into the dealer this morning. The salesman at the parts department didn't have to look up the part numbers. He said it's a common problem and they deal with it at least once a month. $14 in parts total.

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
Hey, getting the parts is the easy part. Wait 'til you go to fit new parts. :D

I hope you get it fixed up. ;)

sierradmax

yes, pushing the grommet into the tank while lieing on grease covered lever controls wasn't easy. Fired right up after everything was connected.

crewchief888

I stopped into the dealer this morning. The salesman at the parts department didn't have to look up the part numbers. He said it's a common problem and they deal with it at least once a month. $14 in parts total.

only once a month?

i average service calls at least once a week for the same problem. :laugh
my personal best was 6 in 1 day.

that was a looooong day

:drinkup

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
only once a month?

i average service calls at least once a week for the same problem. :laugh
my personal best was 6 in 1 day.

that was a looooong day

I guarantee it, one that would have resulted in drinking...heavily. :tong

crewchief888

I guarantee it, one that would have resulted in drinking...heavily. :tong

i think they ran parts out to me 3 times that day, i was running out of everything, filters, oil, hoses
the service manager was running parts in his own truck out to me, when i'd get someplace he could meet me without getting hung up in the const traffic.
usually every couple nights he'd drop parts at my house for the next day, and swing by in the morning to pick up my paperwork
state had 2 big road projects going on at the same time, and nearly every piece of equipment that was available in the chicagoland area was out working
that was the longest summer i've had in 25+ years, leaving the house @ 4:30 am getting back home around dark @ 9pm

bull durham

Can a "newbie " hi jack this thread a bit please . My problem with this machine is a little further down the line . I dropped a clanger when ours starved for fuel - I put the airline on the feed pipe to the tank to blow out any dirt- NOT a good idea ! When I withdrew the 90 degree fitting and grommet from the top of the tank , the stand pipe had blown off into the tank . OK so I can buy a new standpipe etc . BUT how can I gain access to the tank to clean out any debris there isl fairly certain to be there , as there must have been at least some dirt there to cause the original trouble . All I did for the immediate future and to get it running again was to replace the standpipe with a short piece of fuel pipe and that temporarily cured the fuel starvation . Thanks in advance for any advice .

crewchief888

Can a "newbie " hi jack this thread a bit please . My problem with this machine is a little further down the line . I dropped a clanger when ours starved for fuel - I put the airline on the feed pipe to the tank to blow out any dirt- NOT a good idea ! When I withdrew the 90 degree fitting and grommet from the top of the tank , the stand pipe had blown off into the tank . OK so I can buy a new standpipe etc . BUT how can I gain access to the tank to clean out any debris there isl fairly certain to be there , as there must have been at least some dirt there to cause the original trouble . All I did for the immediate future and to get it running again was to replace the standpipe with a short piece of fuel pipe and that temporarily cured the fuel starvation . Thanks in advance for any advice .

theres a drain plug in the bottom of the tank under the rectangular cover on the bottom of the belly pan.

make sure you replace the grommet in the bottom of the tank.
older machines have a suction screen/check valve at the bottom of the pickup hose in the tank. be sure to install the clamps on the suction hose, otherwise, you'll probably start sucking air.

bull durham

Thanks "crewchief" I already drained the tank and replaced with clean fuel . I KNOW that the standpipe is in the tank , and suspect that there must be dirt there too , or why would it starve ?. It's been a hire machine too , and in my experience the hirers aren't too fussed about clean fuel , filling via sweaty wellies etc! So I would be happier if I could clean out the tank properly as apposed to simply draining it . If this entails tank removal I'll just forget it , masochism isn't my scene . I just thought it would have been sensible to include a gasketted plate say , at the top of the tank , but perhaps that would have been too simple and made the cleaning out job more easy.:(

bull durham

Thank you to the people who have replied to my query . It would seem to be a very common problem with bobcats . Judging from these replies and others it looks like masterly inactivity is the answer in this case . Think I'll just order a new stand pipe and attached bits , fit them instead of the jury rig I now have , and after that , leave well alone . Trouble with all these small plant items , everything is shoe-horned into the tightest space , leaving no room for work on them . We have the same troubles with replacing some of the hydraulic pipes on a small JCB loadall Thanks again . B. D .

bull durham

Sure , feel free to do that! Conveys just about all in this case . Once again , thanks for all the replies . BTW , where's "NWI" " Crew chief" (being a foreigner you understand ) although have family in Penn , and also in Vancouver , very handy that is too .

crewchief888

Sure , feel free to do that! Conveys just about all in this case . Once again , thanks for all the replies . BTW , where's "NWI" " Crew chief" (being a foreigner you understand ) although have family in Penn , and also in Vancouver , very handy that is too .

northwest indiana

about an hour southeast of chicago,
15 minutes from the cornfields