• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

1997 volvo a25c trans problem

truecountry

Occupation
Shop Manager and Tech
I have Volvo a25c 6x6 and it just started having transmission problems going into forward or reverse ...If it does go into gear to will run and shift though gears till you let off throttle and its back in neutral ,,,,
Only way to get it back into gear is shut it off restart

sfrs4

Occupation
parts admin
as daft as it sounds,have you tried replacing the ignition barrel?

JDOFMEMI

Another thing to check is the voltage. If you get a drop in voltage, the trans will sometimes not act right.

Check the alternator output. It may be getting enough juice when the rpm's are up, then not enough at idle.

After that, check the shift tower. That is a common failure. Especially if it gets parked with the windows open. The circuit board does not like to be wet.

truecountry

Occupation
Shop Manager and Tech
Another thing to check is the voltage. If you get a drop in voltage, the trans will sometimes not act right.

Check the alternator output. It may be getting enough juice when the rpm's are up, then not enough at idle.

After that, check the shift tower. That is a common failure. Especially if it gets parked with the windows open. The circuit board does not like to be wet.

Thank both of you I saw Sfrs4 first after I had taken floor board up and disconnected air lines to brake pedals so I could see wiring better and feel it run thur my hands for brittle or worn places ...I checked switch and back half was lose and did a slow turn with meter hooked up and saw voltage drop and pick up maybe 2 mms turn I heard relays clicking and moved key switch back nothing ...Thanks Guys

sfrs4

Occupation
parts admin
^^^^same here, you'd be supprised how many faults on transmissions and other faults on A25C's can be traced back to the ignition!

truecountry

Occupation
Shop Manager and Tech
Switch came in at quitting time today so I didn't get to try it ,,,,
Got a call from Volvo 2 times yesterday and again this evening from service Manager asking if I needed any help ....Then he procedes to tell me trans needs sensors inside and etc ..
I just asked him if ignition switch could be problem and he wouldn't say ....
Hopes this will do it , we need it rolling tomorrow

Mark10

Occupation
Plant Mechanic
Just had the same fault on a 35c traced it back to the ignition barrel. Would only take a gear sometimes and if you played about with the key it would work then.

truecountry

Occupation
Shop Manager and Tech

guessing the key switch kept the trans shifting and slipping and tore it out from voltage drop to sensors

truecountry

Occupation
Shop Manager and Tech
Just had the same fault on a 35c traced it back to the ignition barrel. Would only take a gear sometimes and if you played about with the key it would work then.
I ended up droping trans filter and it was loaded with metal big time

sfrs4

Occupation
parts admin
Need Volvo a25c manual
If you are wanting a service manual, best place is online and take a risk with the virus ridden stuff they pedal on there, or get some deep pockets and pay Volvo for one.