• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

1997 N-14 Jake issues

Truck Shop

Is it likely that I need items that aren't in the rebuild kit?

Normally most just need a tune up kit. Master piston should be ok. The solenoids either
work or don't, and are the same through various models, although expensive.
after done hand scrubbing wash them down with brake clean and assemble hard parts
in jake head with oil. Make sure all the o-rings on solenoids are replaced and if it uses a
small green one on the bottom that those are removed and replaced. Those can stick in
the bottom of solenoid bore in the head and missed.

Birken Vogt

Charter Member
It can be a problem with inexperience at driving a AMT if it decides to down shift.

How so? I have never driven an AMT.

Some Allisons come programmed to call for 2nd gear when you lift the throttle and the Jakes come on, which is very annoying. It will keep the engine near max RPM down to 2nd gear but not overspeed.

Truck Shop

How so? I have never driven an AMT.

On a AMT you want to brake it down at the top of grade while in manual mode, lets say
a 6% grade to 7th gear at 100K GVW. The jake will hold it to the bottom without touching
the brake for how ever long the grade is and keep it at 38 to 40 mph. Or brake it down in
auto mode till you hit the desired speed engage cruise control with jake on and it will carry
you to the bottom at a constant 40 in 7th gear.

92U 3406

Occupation
Wrench Bender
I was quite impressed with the jake on the DD13/Eaton 13 speed AMT. Heaviest load I hauled was probably about 85k gross and stage 3 on the jake slowed it down pretty quick.

crane operator

Got some parts and pieces....

This was in the one that would act "stuck". I guess whatever pieces aren't floating around in here, hopefully are laying down in the pan. If they aren't clogging the oil gallery.

Cummins had the rebuild kit, but I'm going to need some hard parts. I may go to my engine core guy and see if he has a full box to replace this one, the bore is pretty dinged up. It had the retainer snap ring about 1/4 of the way forced out of the groove on the bottom.

upload_2023-1-7_14-31-28.jpegupload_2023-1-7_14-31-50.jpegupload_2023-1-7_14-32-14.jpegupload_2023-1-7_14-32-36.jpeg

Truck Shop

Not uncommon with auto lash those need to be set with feeler gage, don't really want to do it running.
Unless the bore will clean up for the slave piston, possibly need a another jake housing.

Truck Shop

Not surprised, a 26 year old engine. On the Series 60's especially the 795 jake,
when those get weak normally it's the oil control valve coming apart. Check the
tops of solenoids where crimped to make sure those crimps are tight, have a
tendency of getting loose.