• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

1997 international 4900

89.ho.ss

Ok I have been checking on everything. I have been checking grounds and everything I can. I tried starting it this morning it was cranking over but wouldn't start. Then after about three or four tries it won't even turn over now. Relays are still clicking. And so is the part on the transmission. The positive on the trans"can" is flickering and the ground on the relays is what is flickering. I don't know where to go first. Would the inhibitor relay cause all of this? How to you test it? Thank you in advance.

89.ho.ss

Ok I tried taking the dash apart on the pass side. It only has the heater box there. I know this is a stupid problem and something simple. I don't know what the three relays are but with them clicking like crazy I know it's stupid. I have tugged on every wire I can find no change. The only change I get is if I unplug any different sensor on the truck then the clicking will slow a bit

Last edited:

mekanik

When the relays start clicking on and off it is usually a connection problem somewhere.
When the key is turned on every thing powers up creating a load. The load exceeds what
poor connection can supply and the load drops causing the relays to click off. Now there
is no load so the relays power up again. The cycle keeps repeating.
Is there any other circuits that are affected? heater or lights?

You said there was a burnt wire at the key switch. Check and see if there are large
voltage fluctuations at the Batt and IGN connectors at the back of the key switch.
Check for the same at the fuse panel under the dash.
A bad ground can cause this too.
My best guess.

Terry

Last edited:

89.ho.ss

Ok I will check the key switch. And wires thank you for responding I have been hunting down and cleaning all grounds that I can find. I tried this morning and the truck now cranks over for about three seconds then cuts itself out. But it won't start. Like no fuel. But the relays are going nuts. Once I find the cause of that I think that's my problem.

89.ho.ss

The only thing I have noticed is the round can on the transmission is clicking and the relays. And the warn eng light in the dash. Other than that everything else seems fine lights and heater seem to work normal

mekanik

There are 2 fuses in the battery box that feed the clean power harness to the ECM and IDM.
There is also a ground wire coming from the batteries.
The ground has a splice just inside the frame where it becomes 2 ground wires.
They go through a flat 4 pin metripack connector just above the starter.
The clean power harness continues up near the steering column and there is the same 4 pin
Metripack connector. Unplug the clean power harness near the steering column and load test
both the power and ground wires. I use a head light bulb using both the high and low beam filaments.
The 2 circuits should have no problem powering both head light filaments.

The clean power connectors look something like the picture below.

needsname.jpg

mekanik

Last edited:

89.ho.ss

Ok so I have done some testing and the pin out of the ecm number 33 is flickering. I also can't seem to get a ground at number 31 that one is for the cmp

mekanik

I doubt you would be able to find a breakout connector for the ECM.
The following checks have to be done with the ECM connector connected to the ECM.
I would start by checking the grounds at the ECM pins 20, 40 and 60,
With the ignition on. See if they are flickering. I hate cutting into wiring
harnesses but you may not have a choice.
If you take a large sewing needle in a pin vice and carefully slip the tip
of the needle between the wire and the rubber seal on the back of the ECM
connector you may be able to probe the connectors. Put the lead from your
test light on the positive post on the starter and touch it to the needle.
The test light should light if it flickers there is a ground problem.
If it lights up the grounds are good.
Move your test light lead to a good ground and next check the ignition power at
pins 57 and 37 with the ignition on they should have 12 volts. Are they flickering?
I would check pin 1 keep alive power as well it should have 12 volts key on or off.

Terry

Last edited:

mekanik

Is pin 37 flickering too?
You need to follow the wire from 57 and 37 back to where they get power.

I will look and see if I can find a diagram.

Terry

mekanik

Your right my mistake. 37 and 57 are powered by the ECM power relay.
Without going back and reading this whole thread again.
Did you check the power and grounds ate the ECM power relay?