• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

1997 Bobcat 773 blowing 15A engine fuse (and 20A :))

ishiboo

I recently purchased a 1997 773 with low hours, and I now have 490 hours on the clock. It blew the 15A engine fuse once a couple weeks ago, and today I shut it off and every time I turn the key to run it blows it. I disconnected the fuel shutoff solenoid and tried it and it's not that.

Any suggestions on common places or where to start? I assume I have to lift the cab, do I just remove the front two bolts and then it tilts backward?

Thanks in advance for any advice!

crewchief888

I recently purchased a 1997 773 with low hours, and I now have 490 hours on the clock. It blew the 15A engine fuse once a couple weeks ago, and today I shut it off and every time I turn the key to run it blows it. I disconnected the fuel shutoff solenoid and tried it and it's not that.

Any suggestions on common places or where to start? I assume I have to lift the cab, do I just remove the front two bolts and then it tilts backward?
Thanks in advance for any advice!

f series machine, square headlights?
fuses located in the eng compartment?

and yes, the cab unbolts from the front and lifts up to the rear

:drinkup

ishiboo

f series machine, square headlights?
fuses located in the eng compartment?

and yes, the cab unbolts from the front and lifts up to the rear

Yup... F-series with the square headlights. Fuses are in the engine compartment.

It had a replacement harness under recall/warranty but I believe that is just for the 14-pin connector and has nothing to do with the engine harness.

ishiboo

Also, today I replaced the fuse and it started and drove... shut it off and turned the key to "run" again and it blew. It seems it is only happening when hot.

I lifted the cab and went through all the wiring I could find but did not see anything suspect, all the wiring looks relatively mint and appropriate for 490 hours.

crewchief888

try a cold start with a new fuse, test run for 15 minutes or so, and shut it off,
disconnect the fuel shutoff solenoid, and try to start, then check the fuse,
since you disconnected the fuel shutoff solenoid, and if it still blows the fuse, check the relay above the battery.

the relay mount should have a sticker identifying it.