• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

1996 samsung exc.

gwhammy

I'm in the market for a older exc. to work brush. It seems no matter how careful you are they get beat. I found a 96 samsung se210-2 but know nothing about these machines. It does have a 5.9 cummins which is great. Who made these machines? Anyone have any experience with this brand.

uffex

Occupation
Admin
Good day gwhammy
Samsung made this machine in Korea, they were quite popular in the day when Samsung had money trouble Volvo bought the plant and brand renaming the machines under the Volvo brand. Your machine is not vastly different from current machines Kawaski pumps Toshiba valve chest. Common issues are the throttle control - electronics .
Hope it useful
Kind regards
Uffex

rodtg

Hi gwhammy. We shipped a slightly larger SE280 from the UK to West Africa in 2011 along with 3 other excavators (Volvo EC210, Hitachi EX355 and EX455) for an agricultural project. Our client did give us somewhat of a verbal dressing down for buying a grey import, but he was proved wrong big time. Out of all the excavators, the Samsung hardly gave us any problems in the 15 months we used it while the others developed significant faults/issues. Out of 4 dozers, 4 excavators, 3 dump trucks and a backhoe loader - the Samsung was the most reliable machine and did very well clearing tree stumps with a root rake and loading dump trucks.

It was sold in 2012 and to this very day hasn't given the new owner too many problems considering its working in Africa and has served him very well.

DSCF6015.jpgDSCN1381.jpgDSCN1497.jpgDSCN1554.jpgDSCN0022.jpg

gwhammy

You see hardly any of them in our part of Missouri. Parts availability is my worry. Computer screen doesn't work and it has a hand throttle. I'm not to concerned about the screen, a few mechanical gauges are all that's needed in my opinion. Thanks for the info.

JD8875

I recently saw one listed on Craigslist on the east side of the state for what seemed a very reasonable price. I'm on the hunt for an older affordable machine but had the same worries. Cummins parts are easy to come by pumpa and motors could prolly be crossed but my fear was electrical parts.

John

uffex

Occupation
Admin
View attachment Samsung289Spec.pdf

Good day whammy
Parts you can get from a Vovo dealer however the pumps are easily sourced and repaired - I guess Cummins are represented in Missouri - Ground engaging parts are from any source as these are used on many makes. One point that may be of interest working the machine in manual mode (hand throttle) has the effect to reduce the power but maybe this is not to important.Attached a 280 spec sheet we found .
Kind regards
Uffex

Delmer

Sounds like Uffex has the answers, but if you're curious go to machinery trader with some part numbers to find what's available used, or search for dismantled machines to see how many are sitting around. Of course the one part that fails on all of them is NOT going to be available, but that will give you some idea if that's what you mean by "parts availability".

repowerguy

Occupation
mixer truck mechanic
At a former job, one of my first projects was to get a sick se280 up and going. The electronics were, cut, smashed, smoked. I made a new plate where the screen went and put in gauges and a few switches for lights and for a fast/slow setting for the hyd. The throttle was a locking push pull cable. I made my wire harness out of 7 conductor trailer cable. The machine was a strong digging beast just not real fast like present day stuff. I put a lot of time in it fixing engine and cooling problems and had it ready to go and it did for a good while until the bolts holding the motor mount broke/ fell out and over went the motor with the fan through the rad. and on and on. I patched it up and it went to a auction to a buyer for overseas. Yeah I had a story to tell! But in truth they are decent machines that are farm mechanic friendly if the deal is good, don't be afraid.

gwhammy

The cummins is a great motor, I've got a few and know where a lot more are. I'm guessing the aftermarket has rails, the guy said this one is at 50 percent. JD that's the one I called about, it's about 40 miles from me. Going to maybe try to go look at it this afternoon. I like simple equipment that's why I stick with the older cat 963a loader. It's fixable without a computer and high priced dealer. Rpm's and power are not a problem that I can see the cummins at 145 horse it's at the bottom of it's power range. Getting fuel and rpm's to them is real easy and cheap. I appreciate everyones input.

Almost forgot, do these machines use standard hydraulic fitting like flared or oring or something special only that company used. This is a big deal if they are really odd. Thanks, Gary

uffex

Occupation
Admin
The larger fittings from memory were of the ORFS type, most of the internal threads were of the standard pipe type. If you need real detail we will try to contact some information for you.
KR
Uffex

gwhammy

I've got a local heavy equipment shop I use that is very good at finding stuff. The owner who is a friend of mine has been a mechanic most of his life and has good connections. Weird fittings are a pain if the equipment is needed, I've tig welded different fittings on things to get around the problems. I was going to look at the machine today but the gentleman who owns it had a thanksgiving dinner at church today so it looks like next weekend unless he sells it first. I've got a case excavator I'm looking at close also. Thanks,Gary

JBGASH

Occupation
Plumbing & Excavation Contractor / farmer
I'm in the market for a older exc. to work brush. It seems no matter how careful you are they get beat. I found a 96 samsung se210-2 but know nothing about these machines. It does have a 5.9 cummins which is great. Who made these machines? Anyone have any experience with this brand.
We have that exact Samsung excavator and it had been very good with very few issues.

finaldrive

Occupation
Business Owner
gwhammy, we can help you with parts.
I stock most of the major hydraulic components and can get just about everything else to you within a week.

ashfaq

Hi
I came across old Samsung excavator
1995 SE 40 W with Cummins in it , the person is selling it for a reasonable price , machine is in running condition.
Can anyone who has experience in this equipment advise please , which hydraulic hammer it will take ,
I will be using it in hilly area .
It has complete mechanical system. "Rods, linkage etc"
Its a wheel excavator, i tried to find out manual for it but was unable to .