• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

1996 D31P-20 Final drive

just-a-mechanic

Hey all! I had issues switch my steering clutch:brake assembly and one thing has lead to another.

Following the last guy that slapped this dozer together -to sell- has cost me thousands.

In short, I’m looking for a final drive shaft, large bull gear and hub for the final drive assembly. I could probably get away with just the shaft and hub.

I’m tempered to buy the final drive assembly listed on eBay, but I don’t want to pay that much for an unknown quality final drive assembly. I would think that would be around 3k shipped. (Maybe best choice?!)

So I’m here to ask for guidance, and what would you do?

The story is:

The final drive hub was not pressed onto the shaft on assembling, the nut was not tightentend either. This has worn the hub and shaft. The slop from the shaft:hub assembly, caused the final drive short pinion to have a lot of play and backlash.

This of course caused the pinion to fracture, which caused the final drives bull gear damage. It maybe salvageable, but I’m scared to try (yet!). If it fails again, I’ll be back to replacing it again.

Also “the guy” did the exact same thing with the final drive pinion short shaft and did not press on the hub for the steering clutches.

So, I replaced the pinion short shaft and bearing for the steering clutch hub, which is how I found out about the final drive issue. I thankfully noticed the huge play and backlash between the pinion and bull gear.

In the pictures below you can see where he replaced the clutches, then unfortunately installed the longer and shorter bolts out of place. (Longer hardware goes outboard) Which caused the inner and outer clutch assemblies to wear against one another.

I have a plan for that and is mostly sorted.

I will be relining my brake bands as well, soon.

IMG_9722.jpegIMG_9532.jpegIMG_9503.jpegIMG_9502.jpeg

1693TA

Occupation
FAA Radar Engineer, (Retired)
FWIW and I know it's going to be a lot of $$$ but at this point you cannot afford to half ass this any further with your repair. Even though it is expensive I feel you need to replace any mating parts that are compromised without exception or you will do the job again.