• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

1996 Case 580L brakes

Big Daddy Den

Sorry if this has been asked before, I don’t have time to go through over 400 threads.
I have a 1996 Case 580L and the left brake seems to work fine but the issue is the right one I’m able to put it to the floor and no response. I’m hoping I can adjust it but don’t know where the adjustment bolts are. Too cheap to spend the $5-6000 for a complete brake job at the dealer. I’m hoping for an easy fix. Can someone help out? Thx
Dennis

highwayghost

Occupation
Emissions Analyst
If it has the same as mine, it's a hydraulic type wet brake. May need bleed, similar to car brakes. Two small rubber hydraulic lines go to the rear axle housing, one for each, L/R brake. There is a breeder valve on the top of the axle housing near where each line connects. The fluid for the brakes comes from the hydraulic system. Never hurts to change the rear axle oil, as the wet brakes run it that oil. Be sure to use the recommended oil only and add the rear end additive for the wet brakes.

highwayghost

Occupation
Emissions Analyst
I can't get to my manual now to check, but I suspect you are correct. Since the brakes get the fluid from the hydraulic system, it would make sense that the machine is running to keep up supply.

Coy Lancaster

Occupation
service tech
Check your reservoir for your brakes which is filled from the return side of the hyd. filter. I had one that the reservoir wouldn't fill up correctly and the right brake wouldn't stay bled. There is a tube in the drain spud of the reservoir that should stick up into it for the fluid level so it will keep fluid. Check for leak in master cyl. also may have to rebuild it.

Coy Lancaster

Occupation
service tech
Okay, thanks. Do you have to pull off the console to access the master cylinders?
No they are on the outside under the panel just in front of the windshield. But you do need to remove the screws that hold the front console on to gain access to the pin for the master cylinder plunger pin in the brake pedal arm if you need to remove cylinder.