• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

1994 Peterbilt 378 Cab Fire - Wiring Harness Fault

pushbroom

Corrosion from people installing windshields with no sealant corrodes out most older pete fuseboxes. Done a lot of burnt wiring harness replacements on older 379s, usually in the engine compartment though. Just did a 2022 389 cab harness that burn out from driver installed chicken lights rammed into the hot side of the fuseboard.

I know you phoned the dealer already but cab harness pn is 16-06274.
It was shipped with a PEEC 4CK24317 at 425hp.

I would rather bite the 6g and put a dash harness in it. The harness will have a couple jumpers and extra circuits plugged in that arent part of the main harness so make sure to match both of them up when it is on the floor.

Attached the harness drawing, schematic, and fuse panel repair parts if you wanna get creative.

Attachments

• SK19517.pdf
    1,016.4 KB · Views: 9
  • kb 3 16-06274 diagram.pdf
    2.7 MB · Views: 8
  • Old PD box for Peterbilt.pdf
    136.3 KB · Views: 6

Truck Shop

For a cab harness part number or serial number of the motor it shipped with?
Should be able to find both even going back to the 80s. Cab harness may not actually be available on a older one.
I called back to Pete with that number-It is available-{Cab Harness my cost $3,813.00 only
one available in Louisiana}. I'm surprised-but I don't think they wanted to look it up or
knew how the first time I called with a vin number, wouldn't be the first time. That price
is a fleet price from my old job, so it's higher than that plus that didn't include a fuse panel.

pushbroom

I called back to Pete with that number-It is available-{Cab Harness my cost $3,813.00 only
one available in Louisiana}. I'm surprised-but I don't think they wanted to look it up or
knew how the first time I called with a vin number, wouldn't be the first time. That price
is a fleet price from my old job, so it's higher than that plus that didn't include a fuse panel.
As you are well aware most parts people these days are sub standard. Some of them just dont care at all.

Attached is some pics from the microfiche of an 82 pete. Still able to look it up, most of the part numbers still work. chrome_3aVQ0DsVk8.jpgchrome_379Va5HOtN.jpg

Truck Shop

Not to get off thread--I talked to the old outside parts sale rep yesterday also. Pete is
still showing numbers in most cases but as parts are sold for trucks this age only
a limited amount are being being built to replace. Built/made as ordered for a price.

631G

Occupation
Civil Superintendent
I spent some more time on the phone with Peterbilt today and I am being told that there are 2 other harnesses in the cab that I may need. One is the PEEC Relay Harness and is part number 19-06205 the other is the Cab Engine Harness that is part number 16-06204.

I also called Fitzgerald Peterbilt thinking that maybe someone who was deep into their now defunct glider kit business might be able to help me sort this out. Sadley, no was the answer. But the man on the other end of the line was very helpful. He gave me some hope that we might be able to plug and play with new harnesses. Mainly he said that because the 3406B and C were so common its unlikely that there were many cables that would have been abandoned or removed. He also said that the PDC comes with the cab main harness (part: 16-06274) so if I can locate the other 2 or at least the cab engine harness I just might get by without having to swap cabs.

I'm still on the hunt, along with everything else that's going on wrench wise in the company so bear with me....

631G

Occupation
Civil Superintendent
Yes that's a manual injection pump. About a 95% chance it was Holst.
Thank you for clarifying I am all mechanical now. This helped me have a little more direction in understanding what I was looking at with the engine cabling that pulled back and tied off. It must have been what went to the old fuel pump governor.

Yes, it was Holst I was looking at the cab with.

Oddly enough I am flying to Idaho this weekend with my family to visit my wife's mother and father. They live near Bellevue ID. Probably not in the cards for a trip over there if I want to stay married very long.

631G

Occupation
Civil Superintendent
Personally I wouldn't waste my time putting a 30 year old wiring harness into the truck. Just asking for endless electrical problems. I'd either go new or junk the truck.
This is my and the mechanic's we hire out to main concern. I don't necessarily disagree with you in principle on the repair either. We'll still have an old truck. However, my name isn't on the side of the pickup trucks and the owner has a serious case of hoarder syndrome or whatever it is that makes a man hold onto things too long.... :) If you've seen some of my older posts our outfit runs a lot of older "well-loved" equipment most of which was well worn out "in" when we bought it.... Lots of good times I can assure you.

But for what it's worth, this is/was a good truck. We did put some money into it to get it up to being a solid old truck that would do what we asked of it minus the headaches of the newer trucks with emissions control equipment etc. at a about 25% of the investment of a new truck (assuming a $235K buy in). Thats where the owner is hung up. He does not want to outlay the big money for new, nor the lesser amount, but still substantial money, for a newer but still used truck like a 2015-2018. These can still run north of $130K when setup for heavy haul and aren't over 5-600K miles and need work to rear ends or other major components.

Maybe I can pull a rabbit out of the hat and come up with something using everyone's input and some more searching around the nation. That or the insurance company comes through and makes a decent offer to total it. Then maybe the owner will decide to go newer... Time and a few more lucky breaks will tell.

631G

Occupation
Civil Superintendent
He's looking at replacing the entire cab, dismantlers won't part out a cab or sell in many cases
the harness from one only on rare occasions. Pete won't custom build a harness back that many
years. I don't know any manufactures that do. About the only thing they continue to supply
is a distribution box/fuse panel.

It's one of the issues that can happen running older equipment to stay away from emissions.
You are correct, everyone I have called has told me they'd happily sell the cab minus the doors but that is the limit to what they are willing to pull out or sell individually.

And yes the risk with the older equipment, as I am now very well familiarized with, is parts availability.

631G

Occupation
Civil Superintendent
Corrosion from people installing windshields with no sealant corrodes out most older pete fuseboxes. Done a lot of burnt wiring harness replacements on older 379s, usually in the engine compartment though. Just did a 2022 389 cab harness that burn out from driver installed chicken lights rammed into the hot side of the fuseboard.

I know you phoned the dealer already but cab harness pn is 16-06274.
It was shipped with a PEEC 4CK24317 at 425hp.

I would rather bite the 6g and put a dash harness in it. The harness will have a couple jumpers and extra circuits plugged in that arent part of the main harness so make sure to match both of them up when it is on the floor.

Attached the harness drawing, schematic, and fuse panel repair parts if you wanna get creative.
THANK YOU FOR SENDING THIS!

This is great. The diagrams I got were not as broad ranging as these to show locations like these diagrams nor did they show the 1 line diagram for point to point tracing.

If we do go the route of buying a cab and running that route this will be very useful.

631G

Occupation
Civil Superintendent
There is only 1 in the US. Its probably gotten more hits in the last week than the last 2 years. The price I got for it was $5,564 before taxes and shipping. I was told that it would come with the PDC. If not then that is another hard one to find. 16-06204 & 16-06205 are not available anywhere best I can find. Scrap yard or bust on those items.

Truck Shop

16-06204 & 16-06205 are not available anywhere best I can find
I've been holding off on this, but you might try {www.mawkindustries.com}. For possibly building/
making the other harnesses. It's going to be a yes or no. Mawk is one of the few {very few} that
custom build harnesses for converting from a manual IP engine to electronic. They build harnesses
for Pete, Kenworth and Freightliner. Just as expensive as OEM, but good quality. They built a harness
for a 1986 359 XTHD that had 3408 from factory that I helped install a 6TS 550 hp 3406 some
years ago. IIRC the guy you talk to there is named Ed, can be moody from one day to the next.

Located in Arizona.

cfherrman

You are correct, everyone I have called has told me they'd happily sell the cab minus the doors but that is the limit to what they are willing to pull out or sell individually.

And yes the risk with the older equipment, as I am now very well familiarized with, is parts availability.

I'll sell you my cab with doors for 1k lol I am serious btw

RocketScott

I can rebuild some of the simpler harnesses if there's enough left of them to copy

Most of the parts are off the shelf. Packard 56 connectors, dill blox for the PDC like pushbroom shared

Not sure how it compares but my '89 379 lists main cab harness as 16-05171. Cummins engine but I assumed that the cab harness was pretty universal. They put wires for everything then only used what were needed

If you want a copy of my build sheet let me know