• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

1994 cat 928f rear end leaking?

brendin

Hey guys I’m new here didn’t know where else to look for help. I recently purchased a 1994 cat 928f with 5200 hrs on it. Everything was pretty good on it besides a bit of a rusty cab and I had to fix some wiring issues with the lights. Now I ran the machine maybe 5 hrs since I bought it and it’s been sitting in the shop. I noticed a large puddle of what looks to be hydraulic fluid under the rear end so I crawled under and cleaned it off. It looks like it is coming from 2 small fittings on the rights side? One looks like a male air line fitting but smaller and the other is almost flat. They could be turned so I tightened them but it’s still leaking. Any ideas on what’s going on? Thanks for the help ahead of time.

brendin

Hey here is a photo of the serial number and a photo of what I believe is leaking. There is another one on the other side of the rear end also. It is some kind of balll valve I’m not sure what for tho.

Attachments

• 372C0C77-4312-419C-8EB0-7494ADB202D9.jpeg
    372C0C77-4312-419C-8EB0-7494ADB202D9.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 33
  • 076A8920-CF9A-45A2-82BE-E76AF79963E5.jpeg
    076A8920-CF9A-45A2-82BE-E76AF79963E5.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 35

partsandservice

When oil is coming out there it is an internal brake seal leaking. You can probably observe the oil coming out while holding the service brake pedal.

brendin

where the oil is coming out it is very rusty and someone told me maybe unscrew and replace where it is coming from. Does that make any sense or you belive it is a brake seal?

partsandservice

I ran into this once many years ago on a 928. It appears the be a bleeder fitting but it is not, it is an indicator of brake seal failure. I am not an expert on that machine . So shortly after repairing the cat axle a had a John Deere come in, every time the service brake was activated oil would come of of a similar looking bleed screw. I removed the axle and tore it down but could not find any issue with the brake seals, turns out on the Deere it was actually a bleeder screw and the only thing wrong with it was the bleeder was loose.

Reactions: DB2

heymccall

Left fitting bleeder for removing air from brake circuit.
Right fitting is breather for axle oil. When brake disc orings leak, brake oil is introduced into the axle oil, filling up the housing. That's where the oil exits after the axle housing is completely full.
Brake job time.

brendin

Great lol. I assume a brake job is a big task on this machine? Do you have any idea price wise? Thanks for your help

brendin

I don’t have one but a friend of mine does and I’m getting it this weekend. If it was overfilled why would it just start pushing it out now? I ran it’s for about 5-10 hrs before this started happening.
Thanks

heymccall

Oil only transfers when the brake pressure is sufficient enough to squeeze past the worn piston seal. So, a little oil is added everytime the brake pedal is depressed hard enough.

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
If you want an Operation & Maintenance manual then you can download one from the web in pdf form for less than $50, probably the best money you'll ever spend

I agree with HMC. The oil is likely coming from the "flat" fitting on the RH side of your photo which is the relief fitting for the axle housing. To the best of my knowledge only one side of the axle has that fitting, the other side will only have a brake bleeder like the npple of the LH side of your photo - please confirm that. If the brake piston seals are leaking and oil is going into the axle then the oil is coming from somewhere. Is the hydraulic tank level low or has oil been added to the hydraulic tank recently that you know of..?

Try doing a test to prove which fitting the oil is coming out of. Clean the area of all the accumulated oil, start the engine, and then have someone press and hold the brake pedal down while you go under the machine with a light and see where the oil comes out. After that check the axle oil level, pretty well guaanteed it will be over-full.

brendin

The oil is not coming from the flat fitting it is coming from the bleeder. And it slowly drips oil when the brakes are not pressed. Just sitting it will slowly leak. I’m buying a new bleeder screw to make sure that one is not defective for some reason.
Thanks

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
Is the oil coming from the bleeders on both side of the rear axle or just one of them..?
If you have to replace it the Cat Part Number is 5H-3701. Price about US$5.

A suggestion while you're in round that area. Remove the flat fitting and make sure you can blow through it from the inside. I've seen lots of them seized by paint or rust and that can cause other big $$ problems. If you want to replace it you need 8T-0336, about $2.

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
Just the one side I took a photo of I checked the other side and it’s dry
Have you tried turning the bleeder ? It's basically the same as a bleeder for just about anything with hydraulic brakes, be it a Cat front end loader, Ford pick-up or even my Harley Sportster, heck even my wife's Vespa has fittings like that! I would replace with one from Cat as that way you know it's the right thread and length. Also not a bad idea to replace the other "flat fitting" just to be safe. Cost to replace all them will be less than the gas money to drive to the dealer!

brendin

Yeah I tried turning it didn’t make a difference. I’m picking them up from cat 8$ each for 24 bucks it can’t hurt

kshansen

Occupation
When you remove the one that is leaking I would be very careful to clean out the hole and make sure there isn't some crap down in the hole or guges in the seat area for the end of the bleeder valve.

brendin

Well I went to cat and got the new bleeder valves. They were leaking but the vent is also leaking very slowly so like someone said above it’s probably the brake seals went and are filling the axel. Cat said worst case of I bring them the diff 10k awesome Friday

kshansen

Occupation
Well I went to cat and got the new bleeder valves. They were leaking but the vent is also leaking very slowly so like someone said above it’s probably the brake seals went and are filling the axel. Cat said worst case of I bring them the diff 10k awesome Friday

Well that sucks! Hate to say that if you don't have the means to safely remove and support the axle while working on it you might have to hire that job out.

I came close to having to do that job on I believe a 950F. I was asked to go to another plant to diagnose the oil leak on the machine and it was just like this 928F, coming out the vent/breather. But someone in upper management decided to farm that job out, I was actually hoping to get the job. The shop at the quarry has a 40 ton overhead crane, fork truck and carry-deck crane among other tools to work with so the size of the parts was nothing we/I could not handle!

Heck we had no trouble loading a 980G with a dead motor on a lowboy or swapping rear axles between two 988B loaders parked back to back in the shop among some other large things like stone crushers! Oh yea, back in the day it was nothing unusual to split 988B on two to have line boring of the center pins done!

But no! I could not handle a "big" job like dropping an axle out of a 950 F! Things like that were one of the deciding factors in retiring at 65.