• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

1993 Caterpillar D6H II Idler Wheels

Hello everyone,

We purchased this machine from Wagner Caterpillar in New Mexico. Since acquiring it, we've used it for approximately 1500 hours. However, we've discovered an issue: the idler wheels on the machine are not compatible with our undercarriage (U/C). I'm puzzled as to why our machine has these unusual, completely flat idler wheels. This is how the machine was sold to us, and I haven't been able to find another model 6H with the same type of flat idlers. Does anyone have any insights or explanations for this?

Attachments

• 7627ec2a-ccf5-4d51-9625-997f256bca0c.jpeg
    7627ec2a-ccf5-4d51-9625-997f256bca0c.jpeg
    237.3 KB · Views: 58
  • a29e2df6-ab0d-4487-96be-cdc6e58ccd8e.jpeg
    a29e2df6-ab0d-4487-96be-cdc6e58ccd8e.jpeg
    246.9 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_4433.JPG
    IMG_4433.JPG
    404.8 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_5787.jpeg
    4.4 MB · Views: 17

tctractors

The idlers look to be Systemone items and you are running standard track groups, on the rear idler if you run standard chains you remove the shim plate from under the mounting block, plus you would have to remove the idler bolt on guard and cut the adapter plates off, I have seen lots of Ex' Service Track groups even the rotating bush setup but not running this type idler.

Last edited:
The idlers look to be Systemone items and you are running standard track groups, on the rear idler if you run standard chains you remove the shim plate from under the mounting block.
So my track group is not compatible with the idlers? The 4 of them are flat

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
We purchased this machine from Wagner Caterpillar in New Mexico. Since acquiring it, we've used it for approximately 1500 hours. However, we've discovered an issue: the idler wheels on the machine are not compatible with our undercarriage (U/C).
Your first step IMHO should be to go back to Wagner and tell them they screwed up selling you a machine with a mixture of HD tracks and SystemOne idlers. Ask them how they propose to make it right.

There may also be other S1 parts on the machine such as sprocket segments, track rollers, & carrier rollers, someone needs to check. HD and S1 undercarriage use all different parts and they can’t be mixed & matched on the same machine.

Do you have a Serial Number.?

Your first step IMHO should be to go back to Wagner and tell them they screwed up selling you a machine with a mixture of HD tracks and SystemOne idlers. Ask them how they propose to make it right.

There may also be other S1 parts on the machine such as sprocket segments, track rollers, & carrier rollers, someone needs to check. HD and S1 undercarriage use all different parts and they can’t be mixed & matched on the same machine.

Thank you. The serial number is 3ZF05819.

tctractors

Nige' I think the Segments are the same items, the bottom rollers are not.

Nige

Nige' I think the Segments are the same items, the bottom rollers are not.
Tony I wasn't 100% sure to I listed everything that COULD possibly be specific to HD or S1 just in case. As you say track rollers are different as are carrier rollers, and a lot of butchering has to go on regarding guiding guards as well.

Thank you. The serial number is 3ZF05819.
OK, so your tractor was originally built with the same type of Heavy Duty (HD) tracks that it has on it right now, fitted with 22" wide single grouser shoes.

The idlers are a complete mystery. I can't even see any instructions regarding a retrofit of SystemOne undercarriage on a tractor of the age of yours. REHS2350 (attached) does mention D6H tractors but no specifics about converting one. Neither does it include your particular 3ZF Serial Number prefix. You may find it useful as it illustrates the differences between the two types of undercarriage.

Usually it is owners with later D6K, D6M, D6N models and the like that were originally built with S1 that people are wanting to retrofit with HD undercarriage.

Attachments

• REHS2350-01 - SystemOne Undercarriage Overview.pdf
    1.7 MB · Views: 5
Last edited:
Tony I wasn't 100% sure to I listed everything that COULD possibly be specific to HD or S1 just in case. As you say track rollers are different as are carrier rollers, and a lot of butchering has to go on regarding guiding guards as well.

OK, so your tractor was originally built with the same type of Heavy Duty (HD) tracks that it has on it right now, fitted with 22" wide single grouser shoes.

The idlers are a complete mystery. I can't even see any instructions regarding a retrofit of SystemOne undercarriage on a tractor of the age of yours. REHS2350 (attached) does mention D6H tractors but no specifics about converting one. Neither does it include your particular 3ZF Serial Number prefix. You may find it useful as it illustrates the differences between the two types of undercarriage.

Usually it is owners with later D6K, D6M, D6N models and the like that were originally built with S1 that people are wanting to retrofit with HD undercarriage.
On the phone with Wagner now. We have spent over $30,000 on U/C because of this.

Ah-ha. You didn't mention that bit. When you said 1500 operating hours I was thinking you bought it within the last few months.
thanks for your help. I wish I had posted on the forum when I was looking at buying the tractor.

.RC.

I am surprised no operator or mechanic worth their salt has questioned the odd looking idlers.

What is the bet, someone had some cheap idlers they got when someone sick of the crap system one converted a machine back to standard style undercarriage. So stuck them on there

I am surprised no operator or mechanic worth their salt has questioned the odd looking idlers.

What is the bet, someone had some cheap idlers they got when someone sick of the crap system one converted a machine back to standard style undercarriage. So stuck them on there
We didn’t know any better when we bought the tractor. Our salesman never mentioned anything and we just noticed when oil started leaking from the pins. We will be buying 4 new idlers and chain.

Nige

We will be buying 4 new idlers and chain.
I'm assuming you will install new sprocket segments with the new chain. You might also consider looking at the track rollers & track carrier rollers at the same time to make sure someone has not slipped SystemOne components into those locations as well.
you are running standard track groups, on the rear idler if you run standard chains you remove the shim plate from under the mounting block, plus you would have to remove the idler bolt on guard and cut the adapter plates off,
You may also need to take Tony's comments above into account as well.

I would suggest that when you want to start looking for replacment undercarriage components post back here and we can come up with a full list of correct Part Numbers for your particular tractor.

I'm assuming you will install new sprocket segments with the new chain. You might also consider looking at the track rollers & track carrier rollers at the same time to make sure someone has not slipped SystemOne components into those locations as well.

You may also need to take Tony's comments above into account as well.

I would suggest that when you want to start looking for replacment undercarriage components post back here and we can come up with a full list of correct Part Numbers for your particular tractor.
Thank you very much for your help.

Jimbo

Not sure where in west Texas you are, but a trip east to different territory would be very productive, in my experience

Tyler d4c

There's 4 new cat idlers on Facebook market place for this machine in West Virginia for 2000 bucks maybe worth a look to you