• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

1992 Freightliner dump truck

Abun

I am going to look at a freightliner FL 120 dump truck with around 700,000 miles. What are some of the main things to look out for? Just using this truck as personal use hailing crushed concrete.
Cat 3406B and Eaton 9 speed. He thinks it may have had I frame from previous owner.
Thanks in advance.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
Welcome to the Forums Abun!

I'm not a truck guy on the knowledge scale but we have many members that are.

crane operator

Look at the suspension. Most fld-120 were road tractors, some air suspensions don't take well to the abuse and off road conditions that a lot of dumps go through. Look for cracks/ stresses in the leafs and their mounting points, and the air bag mounts. That said, a air ride is a lot better for your back, and if your just hauling for yourself it should be fine. There's a ton of converted road trucks out there running as dumps, I'm guilty of making one of them myself- I did use heavy frame, spring ride truck though.

Look for holes or worn spots in the bed, it will get more wavy and conform to the under frame, the more its been used. Look for cracks or stresses in the frame rail/ crossmembers, (typically happen between cab and tandems, close to the cab where the cylinder twists the frame). Look also at the rear pivot, you'll get a idea how much its been used by the wear in the rear pins.

See what the rear axle ratio is. If its a converted road truck with 3.55 rears, its not going to be easy to crawl around a jobsite, or spread rock as your unloading.

Good rubber is nice, but you can buy tires, frames are not so easy to buy/ replace. Engine, transmission, rears: you can tell a little by driving, and look for excessive leaks/blowby, but honestly any one of them could go at any time. I usually look at the condition of the rest of the truck, if they've not kept up with that, they probably haven't maintained the mechanical stuff either.

Do check the brake linings and drums. Its a wear item, I think the last truck I did was around 600 for drums and brake shoes (with maybe some extra parts). Its a wear/cost item like tires. If you get new, when buying the truck, for no extra cost, great, but if not, budget for replacing it, and deduct it from the value you place on the truck.

Dump trucks are all over the map in $ by me. There's a lot of $12-20,000, good usable trucks. Then there's a lot of $30-50,000 trucks that are just covered up with chrome, visors,big stacks, and lights. I realize some of them have spent $10,000 on chrome, but it doesn't haul any more dirt, or make any more $. I actually prefer a clean, straight, regular mack truck with steel wheels, than a all tricked out pete with a 6' tall shifter, and a chrome visor that blocks 1/2 the windshield. But that's just personal, everyone's got different tastes.

If your not real familiar with big trucks, find someone who is and take them with you when you go look.

I've been posting some pictures on here of lowboy pullers I'm looking at. I've bought and sold some trucks, but I haven't even touched on the endless combinations that are out there. Advice never hurts, and most of it is free.

lantraxco

Plenty motor, but in my somewhat dubious opinion the 120 is too light for a dump truck, and a 9 speed ain't gonna give you what you need. I've been wrong before, YMMV.

Truck Shop

Just to add to what has already been said, The engine is probably a 3ZJ best of the B models but nine speeds don't usually work well in a dump.
When the 120 cabs get a little old the dashes start having some problems. The dash valves are a pita to change, air pressure switches are
located behind steering column and the heater/ac controls can be a real problem. The timer for the signals are located in the engine warning
light module, if the signals start to act up on one of those it's $500 bucks to replace that module. Just some food for thought.

Truck Shop

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
Truck Shop beat me to it! Haha. Yes those FL dashes are crap. Depending on the condition of the dash and your limited use if it's in good shape you might be ok. A 9 speed isn't bad depending what rear end ratio it is. Hopefully it's not a road spec with stupid tall rear ends and a 9 direct. I love 3406B's. For personal use if it's cheap, the bed isn't beat up, dash isn't about to fall out and it drives nice I wouldn't rule it out. It's not like you will be running it 6 days a week for 10 hours. Unless you're one of those over achievers! Haha. Send us some pics if you can get them, show us rear suspension, brake wear, tire wear, dash, bed from under, inside, the apron, bed up so we can see how much the cylinder leaks etc. Where in TX are you? It's a big state, you could be 250 miles from me or 850!

Junkyard

Abun

Spring suspension, bed has a few holes but nothing too big. The front hood is cracked and patched up I didn't feel any real blow by just a little smoke coming out of the hole filler tube. All the bushings in the suspension seem to be there some of them look a little worn and no cracks in the frame. I'm trying to figure out how to attach a video, hopefully will soon. Thanks again for everyone's help and advice. He's at $11,000 now and front tires need to be replaced

mowingman

Occupation
Retired
That is a lot of miles. Seems to me like $9000.00 is a more realistic price. Two tires will set you back about $600.00 or more

Abun

That's about what I was thinking, got him down to 10k and j think that about it.
Has 4.10 rear end. Came from factory with a 13 speed and now has the eaton 9 speed. 350 hp cat 3406B.
Btw..I'm about an hour south of Houston

ichudov

700k miles is way too much for what the dump trucks have to go through, rough roads and idling. Do not pay too much.

I have a FLD 112 daycab myself. Paid 7.5k for it with 350k miles. Had to put some money into clutch and to add a wet kit.

At this age all rubber components like seals, hoses are suspect.

i