• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

1992 Cat D4C Series II Track Tensioner Parts Diagram

Melton74959

We have a 1992 Cat D4C Series II sn: 7KG00631X and the left side track continues to loosen. We have taken the grease zert out and cleaned it off and put it back in. However, after pumping it up with grease again, running it back and forth, you can see grease coming out the pressure relief holes.

Per the local CAT parts place they said they believe it is the bushing/seal worn out inside the tensioner where the grease zert screws in. So when tension is applied like turning or pushing the grease is pushed out the pressure relief holes.

Has anyone had this problem and do you have a parts diagram or service manual page on how to remove and installed the bushing/seal inside the grease zert hole?

Thanks for your help in advance.

Melton74959

Thanks for the quick reply. You don't happen to have the service manual info on how to remove the seals would you?

Melton74959

After removing the track and inspecting the roller guides as well as the idlers, I found the idler brass bushing worm 12,000 ths and the oil seal completely dry. Also found the track to be worn out so replacing the track pads, chain, idler brass bushing, oil seals, the works.

Also replace the seals in the yoke ram as this poor thing has been neglected on maintenance by whomever owned it before.

Does anyone have access to a or some cheap maintenance manuals for the D4C? I checked on line and the cheapest I can find is around $400 in good used condition. The Cat dealer wants over $700.00.

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
Does anyone have access to a or some cheap maintenance manuals for the D4C? I checked on line and the cheapest I can find is around $400 in good used condition. The Cat dealer wants over $700.00.
The prices you see are the going rate. When dealer labour costs $150/hour you only have to save 3-4 hours of dealer time and your manual is paid for. Plus if you ever sell the machine in future you could sell the manual separately and get back what you paid for it. Consider it as an investment if it helps.

See here. You can get a brand new genuine latest-version Cat manual on CD for $540. A lot of manuals on eBay may be older and/or incomplete. Hint; Always ask an eBay seller "is the manual complete.?" My 2c.
https://www.servicemanualpro.com/?page=Products&searchbox=7KG00631