• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

1992 Case 580 SK fluids, equipment?

Case Jon

OM says Case Hy Trans in transaxle, and TCH in Hyd reservoir but local Case dealer says “you can pour water in those old machines and it will run” He sold me Hy Trans, $90/5gal, for both systems. I need a second opinion please. Is it ok to use Hy Trans, or for that matter, Tractor Supply generic fluid, in both the transaxle and the main system?

melben

Occupation
Retired 50 Yrs with Case dealership
OM says Case Hy Trans in transaxle, and TCH in Hyd reservoir but local Case dealer says “you can pour water in those old machines and it will run” He sold me Hy Trans, $90/5gal, for both systems. I need a second opinion please. Is it ok to use Hy Trans, or for that matter, Tractor Supply generic fluid, in both the transaxle and the main system?
I am a Case diehard and I would use Hytran in both, I have seen the damage to cylinder packings caused by oils that were sold as equivalents of hytran. I have not had enough experience with TS products to be able to recommend them. FWIW, I regard Hygard from JD as an excellent oil also.

Outdoort

I have a super k too and even tho I havent owned it that long Ive done enough research and most people will tell you to never use anything else but hy trans in the transaxle. And for the hydraulics, tractor supply universal premium hydraulic oil will be fine. The hy trans would be a better oil to use tho for the hydraulic tank if you can afford it. Another thing is, if you have seals and lines that are aged, then when they blow...there goes a lot more money in hy trans.

Steve Favia

Occupation
Retired local 150 Operating Engineer
From what I’ve learned on this forum only Hytran in my 580K rather be safe then sorry,especially with the transmission and brakes,expensive but at least I know it’s good

S.A.E.

Tractor Supply. PREMIUM hyd fluid meets Case specs.. read the label.... and half the price. Remember, the first gen of TCH chemistry was completed prob when you were a boy.... things change and advanced chemistry across the industry mandates new research by the user looking to economize.

csthompson12

Here’s a couple of interesting charts about hydraulic oil.. The Hytran is a nearly zinc free oil.

Attachments

• D6326601-B75E-45F5-AD44-FD29C65F6F99.jpeg
    D6326601-B75E-45F5-AD44-FD29C65F6F99.jpeg
    79.8 KB · Views: 9
  • 84CEED4F-2D41-4827-B9A0-3E246F147287.jpeg
    84CEED4F-2D41-4827-B9A0-3E246F147287.jpeg
    137.3 KB · Views: 10

JBrady

Hytran in the transaxle plus Case brake additive. I do use the Tractor Supply brand in the hydraulics (the ones in the black pales, not the 303 yellow ones). You are only talking about maybe $50-$60 difference in True Hytran vs generic for something that most of us will only do once every couple of years.

Case Jon

I have a super k too and even tho I havent owned it that long Ive done enough research and most people will tell you to never use anything else but hy trans in the transaxle. And for the hydraulics, tractor supply universal premium hydraulic oil will be fine. The hy trans would be a better oil to use tho for the hydraulic tank if you can afford it. Another thing is, if you have seals and lines that are aged, then when they blow...there goes a lot more money in hy trans.
Thanks, I'm convinced, Hy trans for the transaxle and TS Premium for the Hydrulics, (at least until I clean up some leaks), can you advise on the brake fluid?

Case Jon

I am a Case diehard and I would use Hytran in both, I have seen the damage to cylinder packings caused by oils that were sold as equivalents of hytran. I have not had enough experience with TS products to be able to recommend them. FWIW, I regard Hygard from JD as an excellent oil also.
Can you advise on the brake fluid?

Case Jon

Hytran in the transaxle plus Case brake additive. I do use the Tractor Supply brand in the hydraulics (the ones in the black pales, not the 303 yellow ones). You are only talking about maybe $50-$60 difference in True Hytran vs generic for something that most of us will only do once every couple of years.
What about the brake fluid?