• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

1991 140G Dash warning lamps

MNorby

Our 1991 140G (72V13881) has a weird issue that half the warning lamps on the dash are on at half brightness. Started this spring and shortly after replacing bad batteries. My first feeling was a bad ground but have messed with as many ground connections as I can find. Have also messed with the sensor connectors and the cannon plug into the panel. Odd thing was I was pulling it out of the shop for the weekend and as I was moving something tripped and all the light started flashing bright and the alarm and I just flipped the key off and back on and it went back to being half bright again. Maybe there is a common issue with this that someone knows about before I start tracing every wire.

Attached are photos of how it kinda looks right now and when they are full bright doing a panel test. The 3 lights that look bright in the first photo are actually only half bright and the rest are pretty dim, just hard to capture on picture.

20190613_124246.jpg

20190613_124251.jpg

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
Couple of questions: -
Have you tested the alternator output voltage..?
Do you have the Electrical Schematic..?
Does the Action Alarm sound and the Master Fault light come on during the self-test immediately after you turn the key on..?
After the panel self-test do the lights immediately go "dimmer" or does it take some time..?
I'm thinking dodgy connection somewhere, but to find it could be a Sherlock Holmes task. Maybe start by disconnecting EVERY sensor that has a feed to the EMS panel, power up, and start reconnecting the sensors one at a time until the panel goes screwy again. However to do that would require a schematic so that you know what to disconnect and where the connectors are.

Last edited:

MNorby

Have not tested alternator, will do that now (edit have 27.5v running).
The only schematics I have are in the supplemental book for the AWD, etc. Also have a parts book so trying to decipher the wiring based on parts locations as best I can looking at the parts.
It immediately goes back to dim after the self-test.