• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

1990 JGL 40H boom lift Help please!

barklee

were can i find a decal kit for this controller. i want to replace them because of the wear and tear. i got a quote on a replacement box just the shell and they told me $700 only for the box no switches or controlls does this seem right?

That is pretty expensive, i bought one last year for a 600s and it was about $400. I would try to find a good used one. Look on machinery trader at the dismantled machines. I am guessing one of these guys that advertise used machines will have one. You should know that changing the box is a pretty fair amount of work. Everything will have to be removed and rewired, unless you have a quick connect (i dont think the H models have this). The wiring in this box looks a little oxidized and will probably cause some breaking along the way, so be prepared.

Im not a lift mechanic by any means but it sounds like your drive control is bad. They lose the proportional ability and it seems like there is no fixing it. Its cheaper to just replace the control, there are a ton of PQ controllers out there. Like said before i would change the oil and filter first and run the machine for a while before i did anything. :)

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
I'm not sure what they're pricing you wisco. You can replace that decal plate that the switches and controls are mounted on, it's not just a decal, it's an aluminum plate with the decal already fixed to it. Additionally, that's the wrong decal plate for your machine. Your machine is PQ controls without proportional telescope. That decal plate that's fitted on your machine is a plate for a machine that has Hydraulic controls, not PQ controls.

This is the one you need for your machine, item #103;

JLG 40H platform decal plate.jpg

Ordering that decal plate is tricky as there were many variations. Tell ya what, contact Eric at Best Line Equipment, 888-888-321-3217, he's been working with JLG parts for years and knows them well. You can even email him the pic of your control box if he needs it for ID. Just remember, you have PQ controls without proportional telescope. :)

Last edited:

wisco

so after being busy as Heck im getting my lift together. mentioned was a Wix 51434 hydro oil filter. i ordered it yesterday but were does the filter sit? im having a hard time finding it... thanks for the time

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
The hyd filter is inside the return housing at the hyd tank, on top of tank. Remove the six bolts that hold the top plate in place, remove the plate, you'll find the filter inside that housing.

JLG 40H hyd tank.jpg

bothebu

We have a 1994 JLG 40H+6 with a Ford Gas/propane engine. 2700 hours on the machine. The engine is brand new, we bought the machine online a few weeks ago. It was running fine until recently. Since we got the machine whenever you started the machine with the ground control panel it would rev really high until you switched it to the basket and then it would idle much lower and everything worked fine when running the machine from the basket. Now when we try and boom the lift up from the ground or the basket the engine dies. So under any load the engine dies. We have replaced all the simple things (fuel filter, plugs). We found some info on the E201 controller and have adjusted the set screws with no improvement. Is this a controller problem? Thanks for any help...Bob

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
Welcome to the forum bothebu.

Make sure you have 12V positive on terminal #1 of precision governor, verify good ground on #2. When you turn on ignition, you should get a quick "blip" of governor controller linkage going to carburetor. Add power to terminal #4 should cause governor controller to stroke high throttle on carburetor.