• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

1989 Prime-mover or John Deere LD50

DKB

That's just a hydraulic strainer, not a regular filter. It needs to washed out several times in a bucket of gas until it's completely clean. The important thing is making sure the gasket wasn't damaged upon removal. Only the hydraulic filter and 0-ring inside the filter cannister needs to be replaced. If the cannister itself doesn't leak you may be OK not replacing the 0-ring. Due to the age of these machines you will start having one leak after another so it's best to just replace anything that looks old when the fluid is drained. The majority of the mechanical parts used for these machines can still be purchased and was used on other brands of equipment. The Prime Mover company didn't make the parts. The only thing I couldn't find was the hydraulic pump at the rear of the machine. But the pump IS rebuildable because I just had mine rebuilt with a new spline shaft and pressure plates for 600 dollars. As far as I know these machines were only made during a 10 year period during the 80's. Mine was produced during the first production year and has the older John Deere 3164d engine. In the later years they started using the 3179d engine with the only difference being 10 more horsepower.

GregorinIL

My brother just bought a Prime Mover LD 50 Wheel Loader. I would like to know more about the engine. The previous owner passed, and the unit was sold by his son. The son claims the motor is a Continental TM 27. He says it is the same motor as used in the John Deere 8N. I have no clue. The articulating ram is leaking and has to be repaired. I don't think that will be a big deal. At least I hope not. The first things I would like to find are a service manual for both the loader, and the motor. Also a rebuild kit for the carburetor if available.
My hobby is rebuilding garden tractors, so this is a little out of my league, but I hope with some help, we can make it a better machine than it is now.
Thanks to all in advance for any help you may be able to offer. Greg

Delmer

The continental looks like an overhead valve engine, I don't think JD ever used a continental, and a FORD 8N would have been a flathead engine. Ferguson used some continental gas engines now and then?

Doesn't matter, get the numbers off the carburetor tag and you can probably find the rebuild kit for the carburetor. The cylinder shouldn't be too bad, if you have time, patience, and the willingness to use a lot of force.

GregorinIL

I know less than nothing about this unit, or the motor. I have never messed with one before, so forgive me if I ask stupid questions.
I found a parts manual on line. No where in the parts manual does it show, or mention an electric fuel pump, but this unit has one. There is no mechnaical fuel pump on the motor. The previous owner stated there were fuel delivery issues. He installed a on/off switch. He said he was constantly tuning it off and on. If it does require an electric fuel pump, I suspect it needs a different one. One with less pressure. I have a pump rated at 4 psi. Would that be sufficient?

Delmer

Gonna need some pictures to see what's going on. Usually, 4 psi would be fine for a carburetor. But if the fuel tank is above the carburetor, then there should be no need for a fuel pump. What pressure is the current pump putting out?

For any gas engine, I would start with an ignition tune up and compression test while you're at it. If you like old lawn tractors, then you'll know about carburetors and engines leaking oil, burning oil, blowing oil out the vent tube, is your engine doing any of those things?

GregorinIL

He does not have the loader home yet, it is still at the sellers house. My brother is in central Iowa, I am in IL. He has a cabin on a river with no internet access. This is going to be one of those long distance diagnose and repair jobs. We all know how fun those are. On top of that, he is leaving the first of Oct. for his home in Az. , so not much will probably be accomplished this year. Unless for some UN-GODLY reason he decides to bring this thing to my house. I hope and pray that doesn't happen. We have only heard the loader run for about 30 seconds. We never saw it move, never saw it lift the bucket. Personally, I would not have bought it under those conditions, but it's his money I guess. At this time we are simply trying to make it run long enough to put on a trailer, and unload.

DKB

My brother just bought a Prime Mover LD 50 Wheel Loader. I would like to know more about the engine. The previous owner passed, and the unit was sold by his son. The son claims the motor is a Continental TM 27. He says it is the same motor as used in the John Deere 8N. I have no clue. The articulating ram is leaking and has to be repaired. I don't think that will be a big deal. At least I hope not. The first things I would like to find are a service manual for both the loader, and the motor. Also a rebuild kit for the carburetor if available.
My hobby is rebuilding garden tractors, so this is a little out of my league, but I hope with some help, we can make it a better machine than it is now.
Thanks to all in advance for any help you may be able to offer. Greg

These machines came with 3 different engines. The 4 cylinder Continental 2.7L gas engine, the Deutz 2.8L diesel, and the John Deere 3164 or 3179 diesel. Mine has the John Deere. You can eventually find a service manual for the machine itself on e-bay if you keeping checking the site often. Just type "John Deere LD-50". A complete service manual will detail everything on the machine including all the part numbers. Any local hydraulic shop can rebuild the leaking cylinders. Just be sure to flush the entire hydraulic system and replace the filter. After draining the hydraulic tank there is also a drain plug under the hydraulic motor. Be sure to drain the tank first!!! It's a messy job and time consuming. It takes close to 14 gallons of high quality tractor fluid if the system is drained entirely. The good thing is the parts for the machine are still available and were used on different machines. However the service manual does NOT include anything about the engine itself. That has to be purchased separately. Good luck on finding one. If you need parts for anything else on the machine I can help you. I've replaced almost everything on mine, including the hydrostatic pump and hydraulic pump. But I have no info on the Continental 2.7 engine itself. I'm not sure what other brands of equipment that engine was used for. If you can find that out it may lead you in the right direction.

DKB

I use Shell HD universal tractor fluid. It can be purchased at Tractor Supply. Given the age if your machine I would recommend cleaning out the strainer on the tank as well. It's up to you. Also replace the rubber high pressure hose that connects to it. The hydrostatic pump located under the hydraulic tank needs totally clean fluid in order to last a few years longer. I had to replace mine to the tune of $3000 dollars and it was REAL fun. If it ever stops going forward or in reverse that will be the problem. I used to have a ton of leaks on my machine so I replaced anything that looked old. Also had all the hyd. cylinders rebuilt. I now have zero leaks and a very reliable machine. If you have any other issues let me know

Attachments

• IMG_20180304_140932.jpg
    IMG_20180304_140932.jpg
    951.4 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_20180304_140949.jpg
    IMG_20180304_140949.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 22
  • IMG_20180304_141110.jpg
    IMG_20180304_141110.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 23

GregorinIL

My brother is planning to pick this thing up Saturday. He has located a trailer to haul it, but is unsure of the wheel base, width wise. Can anyone tell me center to center measurement on the tires, and also outside to outside? Thanks Greg

DKB

On mine the wheel base is 53" center to center and 66" outside measurement. These machines weigh 6600 pounds so with other attachments on it I would use a trailer rated at no less than 12000 lbs.

GregorinIL

My brother got the machine back to his cabin. He has to give it a shot of ether to get it started, but says it runs very well, once it's going. I'm sure the carb could stand a rebuild, or at the very least, a good cleaning.
Here's some of the other things I replaced on mine:
- Hydrostatic pump (Sundstrand 22-2069)
- Hydrostatic motor (Sundstrand 22-3077)
- Hydraulic oil cooler (Hayden OC 1260)
- Inner and outer hub bearings ( Timken 3982 and Timken 3767)
- Axle hub seals (CR-32502)
- Axle hub gaskets -6 hole (GKT024)
- Transmission seals (CR-22354)
- Hydraulic Pump (rebuilt)
- Hydraulic Pump crankshaft coupling (Lovejoy CENTAFLEX 16AS)
- Spline shaft coupling between Hydraulic pump and CENTAFLEX crankshaft coupling (A-7707570) NOTE: This coupling comes 4" long and must be cut to down to 2-9/16"

Where did you locate all these parts? Or were they from different vendors?

GregorinIL

My brother has another question. While sitting in the operator seat of his Prime Mover LD-50, there are 2 levers on the left hand side. One appears to be the throttle lever. The other one has him baffled. What is it for exactly, and what does it do? Thanks Greg

kjwenger

I use Shell HD universal tractor fluid. It can be purchased at Tractor Supply. Given the age if your machine I would recommend cleaning out the strainer on the tank as well. It's up to you. Also replace the rubber high pressure hose that connects to it. The hydrostatic pump located under the hydraulic tank needs totally clean fluid in order to last a few years longer. I had to replace mine to the tune of $3000 dollars and it was REAL fun. If it ever stops going forward or in reverse that will be the problem. I used to have a ton of leaks on my machine so I replaced anything that looked old. Also had all the hyd. cylinders rebuilt. I now have zero leaks and a very reliable machine. If you have any other issues let me know

Hi DKB, since you have done so much work on your LD-50 I was hoping you could answer a question. I have a Lull LD-50 (made by Prime Mover) with the 3 cylinder John Deere Diesel. Been running it for nearly 10 years. Just yesterday the main hydraulic pump came loose from the engine and it made a terrible grinding noise. I immediately shut the engine off and soon found the the top bolts on the pump were missing or broken off and the pump is gapped away from the engine about 3/4 of an inch. It has been sending a vibration through the drive petals for over a year but unfortunately I never figured out what the causing it until the pump came off. Now I suspect based on the noise that the splines on the pump or engine crank shaft are stripped out.

So here is my main question. How do you take the pump off? It is very difficult to access from the front even with the seat and surrounding panels removed. Is it easier to take the engine out or do you access it from the front with the engine still in place?

kjwenger

Never mind the previous message. I think we have it figured out for now. We managed to bolt the hydrostatic pump to the engine without taking anything apart besides removing the battery box. Unit works fine now.

Mitch55

Hi, I just purchased a LD50 and the brake caliper and master cylinder are missing does anyone know where I could purchase one from or a cross reference part I could use?

Delmer

Good luck, and welcome to HEF. Most of the parts on a machine like that are off the shelf, especially hydraulic brake parts, it wouldn't surprise me at all if you could match it up to common truck parts based on a picture alone. Just where are you going to find a picture?