• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

1989 lull 644 noisy brakes

peterGman

Hey everyone,
I bought this older 1989 lull highlander 644 last year and I had posted some questions about it and you all were very helpful, well.... I need some more help. I have built two houses with it and its been great. I cannot complain at all about how it has been performing for me given that its a 1989. So when I first bought it I went through the machine and changed all the fluids and fixed a few other issues I had with it. The last house I did had a steep grade to the back yard and a few times going down the hill the brakes kinda chattered and seemed a little sticky but were fine on a flat grade. Today I had it at my new frame and the brakes are chatering all the time now. It doesent seem bad like something is hurting it just makes a little chatter just as it stops. My concern is that I may have put the wrong fluid in the wheel ends. My excavator told me to just use 80-90 gear oil when I changed the fluids he said that gear oil is gear oil and not to worry about it. Now I think maybe I should have used the fluid that the manual calls for.(80-90w was readily available at the time) Anyone familiar with this issue? The service manual says brake chattering could be due to the wrong fluid or low fluid. They are not low I checked them two days ago before I had the lull brought to the job site. I would like to resolve this before I tear something up. My other issue is when I checked the front diff because the seal has a slow leak and it was a solid 2 qts. over full and seems thin like hydraulic oil. Could there be any way the front dif. lock is spilling hyd. oil into the front axle? Thats the only reason I can think of why it would have so wuch extra fluid.
Any advise on these issues would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks, Pete

peterGman

Anyone have any expertise on this? Im thinking of draining the wheel ends and refilling with new 80-90w with a friction modifier additive. hopefully that would smooth out the brakes. I was just looking for some advise on this before I go through the process.
Thanks, Pete