• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

1988 pete 379 lo flo radiator

busdrivernine

I am wondering if anybody has a Pertbilt that has a Cummins Big Cam IV with lo flow and if you do how is your hoses hooked up to the radiator does it have 2 hoses on top tank and 1 on bottom and if it does does the flow from the engine go to the bottom of tank or to the top ? Thanks for any help . I am having overheating problems and can not find cause .

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
Every vertical radiator I've ever seen has the coolant enters the radiator at the top, flows down through the core, then exit the bottom tank back to engine. Gravity does the work. If the coolant entered the bottom and went up, the water pump would have to do the work to push it "up hill" through the radiator. You say you have overheating problems; what makes you think it's the rad? Do you have a fan clutch? Is it working properly? Do you have A/C? Does it engage the fan clutch when you turn on A/C? In most cases, the only time the radiator causes overheating is because the core is clogged. Either from dirt/debris on the outside, or clogged core tubes on the inside. Have you made sure the outside is clean? If the core tubes are clogged on the inside to the point it causes overheating, it will usually make "cool spots" on the radiator that you can feel with your hand because coolant isn't flowing through the clogged portions of core tubes.