• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

1988 D3B RADIATOR

Welder Dave

That is an early D3B, the 67th one made according to a booklet I have. If it's like a 931B, you have to take the nose off and then remove the rad. You can't just remove the rad. If I recall you need to get a couple of forged lifting eyes to thread into the nose to attach a lifting chain or sling. I don't think the front belly guard with the tow hook needs to be removed. Keep track of all the mounting blocks and spacers. I had to take the nose to a rad shop and one of the mounting blocks was missing from when they removed the rad. Thankfully they found it under a work bench. I was working outside in the dirt and it was awkward to try to remove the rad. there. The shop re-corded the rad and dipped it to strenghten the fins. They did a good job but not sure I would go back to them. It cost me $1100 about 20 years ago but one of the guys there was pretty rude because I brought the nose in. I can see it for maybe a $200 repair but it wasn't a big job to remove and I had to put it back in. That's when I discovered the missing mounting block. Guy just being a bit of a jerk. It was also in the middle of winter so not fun working on in the cold. Most shops are pretty good about doing an extra step to help a customer out but this guy sure wasn't. I'm sure I was charged for more time than it took.

Last edited: