• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

1988 D-6H series II w/ 3306 Cat engine

Multiracer

Occupation
Owner/ operator
Serial number is 3ZF00730.
Starter took a dump this afternoon. I got it out and it has that nice sweet smell of burnt epoxy.
Should I let a local rebuilder look at it or is it better to just trade it in? It looks like a totally sealed marine style unit with a faceplate to bell housing gasket and rubber seals everywhere.
Ron

Cmark

It's a very common starter. I would imagine you should be able to get one off the shelf from your local auto elec supplier quicker and cheaper than having yours rebuilt.

BTW. 3ZF00730 isn't a series II tractor. Series II starts at 3ZF04000.

Multiracer

Occupation
Owner/ operator
Thanks for the info. No special seals to keep it watertight ? Think the auto parts will have 24 volt stuff ?

mitch504

NAPA and Carquest will, Advance and their ilk, maybe not.

That being said, I've had much better luck with a local rebuilder than part store stuff on heavy duty electrical. At least the local stuff was rebuilt by a man who cares if you are happy. Around here it's usually much cheaper, too.

Multiracer

Occupation
Owner/ operator
Great,
I will try NAPA, if that strikes out I will have a local guy look it over.
Thank you

Construct'O

Occupation
Dozerwork,tiling plus many more!!!!!!!
Most of the time when the 24volt goes bad they are toast,because they burn everything up (just like arch welder) and most of the time nothing is good enough to rebuild.My experiences.Just get a reman from Cat.Usually cheaper in the long run.Good luck

catman13

Occupation
refrigeration engineer/excavation contractor
ask your local rebuilder or go to cat for a reman.
napa is not on the top of my list and Cat is about the same price.

Cmark

Forgot to add, if you do buy an aftermarket starter, make sure it is the type with an oil seal on the motor shaft and a sealed solenoid.

There are starters for dry bellhousings and wet bellhousings. Yours is a wet one.

Multiracer

Occupation
Owner/ operator
There are starters for dry bellhousings and wet bellhousings. Yours is a wet one.

That is the type of info I was looking for. Now I will call Cat when the rebuilder tells me it is toast !

Thanks for that.

Cmark

But I don't really understand what you mean in your OP by "It looks like a totally sealed marine style unit". The only external difference I've ever noticed in starter motors (on Cat engines anyway) in marine applications is that they're painted white. "Marine style" to me implies that it is sealed against the ingress of water. Can you post a photo? I'd be interested to know what you're looking at.

AFAIK there are only two variants; wet and dry bellhousing and you can't tell the difference just by looking at the outside. (Except sometimes you can see the edge of a rubber boot where the solenoid meets the nose-cone, but even that isn't a guarantee.)

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
By sealed I meant spark arrested as well as water resistant.

Spark arrested?

Not sure what that means in relation to a starter on a Cat 3306 or any other engine. If you mean the brush end of the motor is NOT open to where you can see the brushes and armature, I don't recall an open one in the 40 + years I have worked on this type of equipment, old generators sure most were more or less open but not starters. Some starters used to have a thin steel band covering the brush area but any I've seen in many years all had large screw in plugs covering the access to the brushes.

Last edited:

Multiracer

Occupation
Owner/ operator
In relation to this thread it means nothing. If you look into marine applications especially gasoline marine equipment (starters,alternators,switches,solenoids,relays etc.) in enclosed spaces (bilges) you will learn what spark arrested means and how the application of such techniques is applied to 42MT starters like this one. Marine stuff is also well sealed for water resistance too.
Good holiday sir.
Ron

Last edited:

Multiracer

Occupation
Owner/ operator
After the rebuilder quoted all the replacement burnt parts plus brushes and a drive the decision was made to replace it with a new one.
He got one the next day, exchanged the drive to a 12 tooth and made sure the oil seal was there. He even supplied the nosecone gasket for $265.00 out the door.
He kept mine as a core for the cases and the nosecone.
I am back in business pushing dirt !!
Good Holiday to you all.
Ron