• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

1988 Cat 426

graywarrant

I've reached the end of the road with my 426. After pulling and reinstalling the transmission three times, I've given up trying to figure out why I have no pump pressure at the first test port.

I am in Columbia, SC - anyone know of a semi-local yard that buys old equipment?

My last two thoughts as to why I still have no pump pressure are -

1. The transmission pump I purchased was different in two ways from the original.

One, the port where it receives or drives (pressurized) fluid did not match the port on the transmission housing - I reordered from CTP using the correct Cat PN and received the same pump. I then had it machined to allow the ports to mate - no change in pump pressure.

Two, wish I had taken a photo, cause I won't do a good job explaining this. The teeth of the new pump are pointed, like a motorcycle sprocket while the gears of the old pump are "castelated". I assume one style provides higher flow pressure, while the other style may provide higher flow volume? Irregardless, I get zero pressure at the test port using two different gauges.

2. When the shop rebuilt the torque converter, the new "ears" they installed aren't long enough to make contact with the ears on the TQ when bolted to the flywheel.

Unless I want to drop another grand into the machine, it appears I can only (and that is an if) get the correct pump direct from Cat. I've since bought a 5t excavator and it is time to cut my losses on the 426.

Appreciate the. help I received from the group with the 426.

Thanks - Ray