• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

1987 JCB 1400B / tech advice /Operators Manual & Parts Book

John Fitz

Hello. I recently acquired a 10 yr dormant 1987 JCB 1400B (Ser No: 14BN2077-329347-7) which came with a service manual & workshop manual (4.236) but no operator's or parts manual. Unfortunately, I don't know a lot about diesels/larger backhoes but have been learning exponentially as I have to get it moved off buddy's land in the next two weeks. I've operated smaller machines and a few various bobcats for personal use but nothing too big. As most folks here know an arm & a leg are still not enough to buy these old manuals-the parts one especially. I can't even find an operators manual in English on fleabay. If you search awhile, you can find a few free 1400B service/workshop PDF links but no free "Operators Manual"/"Parts Book". A site called 777parts.net has a comprehensive pay-for parts database if you wanna give them $10 for 24 hrs. Fortunately, they expose a few OE part numbers with the distorted parts diagrams they allow you to see which helps validate some of the correct parts I need. I've been working on the engine predominantly and haven't really traced the function of three push/pull levers in the cab. One of them, a white oblong lever, is right next to front loader controls to the right-front of the seat so that correlation is more obvious. The other two are a horizontal round white one a few inches above the ignition key (start/stop?) and a black vertical oblong lever left of the steering console, a few inches from the windshield. Any links to these two manuals would help me concentrate on more important tasks like trying to get this beast started. Thanks in advance for any help/advice anyone can provide.

John Fitz

Well, I figured ten days should prolly have been enough time to get someone that could answer these seemingly fairly simple questions. I didn't realize when I posted that there aren't that many folks that use this forum any longer. I did figure out that the white lever next to the loader lever and emergency brake is a kill switch cable attached to the injector pump. I was also able to access JCB's UK residents only parts database online using my VPN. I have hundreds of screenshots of every single part of my 1400B now if anyone needs a copy. A free copy of an operators manual is still elusive however.

excavator

Old JCB backhoes are hard to find information on and the parts, if available, are expensive. I have a customer who has a 1700 and it's been somewhat of a challenge.

John Fitz

Tell me about it. Fortunately, the hoe's controls are fairly intuitive and I love the old school mechanical functions overall but especially under the hood. No need for expensive diagnostic gadgets. JCB's parts database is also comprehensive and so far very reliable. Believe it or not, literally, the ONLY two parts I don't see on the graph pics nor the corespondent part descriptions are the two knobs I haven't tried tracing yet. I'm pretty sure the black vertical oblong push/pull handle on top of heater assembly on dash board, will control something in there. The round white push/pull knob, a few inches above ignition is still a mystery. Eventually, I'll trace it but getting this beast started is priority one. Hopefully, the only potentially consequential and unknown knob (the white one), won't hinder my progress.

John Fitz

Well evidently while going screenshot crazy copying every pic/part number on JCB's web site, I missed a page. The Body link that contained the Bonnet (hood) components revealed the black lever in the middle pic above as the cable release lever. Someone removed the cable 20+ years ago. My "bonnet" just lifts up to locked position without releasing anything. Closing it is a simple flick of the support mechanism. Two down, one to go
icon_b_thumbup.gif
. The first pic above, the white push/pull lever, is frozen solid (pushed in). I may have to pull dash apart for this last one. The last pic above is the kill push/pull lever in between emergency brake and loader control lever.

Carlos1

Well, I figured ten days should prolly have been enough time to get someone that could answer these seemingly fairly simple questions. I didn't realize when I posted that there aren't that many folks that use this forum any longer. I did figure out that the white lever next to the loader lever and emergency brake is a kill switch cable attached to the injector pump. I was also able to access JCB's UK residents only parts database online using my VPN. I have hundreds of screenshots of every single part of my 1400B now if anyone needs a copy. A free copy of an operators manual is still elusive however.
I WOULD BE VERY INTERESTED IN SEEING THE SCREEN SHOTS OF THE JCB1400B … THANK YOU FOR THE OFFER.. IS IT IN PDF?

Carlos1

hello John my email address is csbatista39@gmail.com if you still want to share the docs on the JCb 1400b
by the way John have you or do you know of anyone who has done the jcb to ISO control conversion on a JCB1400b 1989.?
I am struggling with the change and wonder the best way to get to the master block and change relief valves etc.

John Fitz

Sent. I got some weird Google Drive messages, freaking out with file permissions. If you have any issues let me know.

Carlos1

Hello John, you seem to be familiar with JCB backhoes
by any chance are you familiar or know of anyone who has changed the controls from JCB to ISO or SAE.
I am most familiar with excavator. where the boom goes up with the right hand towards the operator.
dipstick on left same way.

Carlos1

John I forgot to mention that we are dealing with a recently purchased JCB 1400B 1989.
it is very hard if not impossible in the field to get to the hydraulic hose distribution block from under the backhoe.

Coytee

I don't know if you still have any questions.... I've got a 1550-B and might be able to help a small bit.

Yours IS a bit different than mine but here's my take/guess

Lever on left next to windshield.... is the "hood" release. I think you've figured this out. Also, on mine, is a safety lever on the left side (as facing hood) in the front hinge.

Your picture with the "T" lever next to the loader is the kill. That will kill the fuel flow somehow and is how you stop the machine. I've actually replaced mine once but don't recall much else about it!

The lever next to it is your "cruise control" .... or your throttle so when you're using your hoe, you can adjust your engine speed as needed. It is SUPPOSED to be linked to the foot throttle such that, if you "stab" at the foot throttle, it will PULL the hand throttle all the way down to the bottom, giving full authority to the foot. I'm not sure mine still does this... likely an adjustment thing for me.

I've got no clue about the switch near the key. Mine doesn't have that at all so I'm clueless.

I have what is supposed to be a service manual, PDF for my unit. I think there are some similarities between the 1400 and 1500.

I don't know if my connection (sattelite dish) will handle it but am happy to try to email it to you. I tried to upload it here but it's too large.

I'm having steering issues with mine, having just pulled the steering pump off yesterday, so here's an example of what's in my book.

Richard

Attachments

• Steering Pump.pdf
    5.2 MB · Views: 21

Coytee

Your hand throttle looks jacked WAY up. (using mine as reference)

For me, to have machine at idle, the hand throttle would be pushed down. To give it more fuel/speed, you would lift it and putting it in the position yours seems to be in would be totally wide open. I wouldn't want to start the machine with it in that position.

There is a knob on the end, yours is missing. The knob isn't important, but might make it easier to lift when you're operating the hoe and it's now behind you on the left.

John Fitz

John I forgot to mention that we are dealing with a recently purchased JCB 1400B 1989.
it is very hard if not impossible in the field to get to the hydraulic hose distribution block from under the backhoe.
Sry, I am actually a very new owner of my yellow beast and have been learning on the fly. I'm still trying to figure out why Google Drive is freaking out on me.

Coytee

I don't want to sound disrespectful.....but, I'm not sure I agree with you.

I can sit (on my butt on the ground) and have decent headroom to work under there. The trick (for what I've done) is you have to decide which side underneith do you want to work on??? Let's say the left (passenger) side as you are sitting in backhoe seat looking backwards. If you want to work on the left side, you have to swing the hoe to the LEFT side and by doing that, the internals underneith will swing to the RIGHT side, giving you the room.

Now, yeah.....you're still going to be crawling around like a monkey and you don't want to do this in your Sunday Clothes.... but it can be done. All you'd need to do/know is which hose goes where and make the swaps.

Or at lease, that's my take on how I'd approach replumbing the hoses.

Carlos1

Thank you for the advice but while working on hoses and internal core swaps an individual can’t swing with open hydraulic hoses?
Also when you sit under the swing boom is the machine lifted only by the left and right lifters?

John Fitz

Thanks Coytee. I have all the manuals I need except for the "Operator's" Manual/Handbook. None of the other show that lever above ignition key. I could eventually take apart dashboard and find out. I didn't realize such a visible part would be so elusive.

John Fitz

Carlos, did you get the files I sent. I used Google Drive directly to share instead of uploading through Gmail/Drive if that makes sense.

Last edited: