• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

1985 gmc brigadier turn signals not working.

soapstoneguy

Hey,
Blinkers aren't working on this truck. The lights work, brake lights etc. There was a front passenger tire that blew out and tore off some of the fender (before I owned it) but all the wiring seems to be good there as the light works. The turn signal handle on the steering column clicks in both directions and sounds like it should, isn't loose or anything either; the wiring doesn't look cut, stripped or anything...really mind boggling how well the electrical is on this truck even under the truck.

Anyone have experience with this truck or the electrical?
I'll admit electrical is NOT my strongest point. I have checked all the connections at the lights and they are good, some I even cut to redo them and then make sure nothing can get in them and I know I didn't screw anything up there because the turn signals never worked when I bought it.

Any ideas or electrical diagrams?
Thanks!

Shimmy1

Hey,
Blinkers aren't working on this truck. The lights work, brake lights etc. There was a front passenger tire that blew out and tore off some of the fender (before I owned it) but all the wiring seems to be good there as the light works. The turn signal handle on the steering column clicks in both directions and sounds like it should, isn't loose or anything either; the wiring doesn't look cut, stripped or anything...really mind boggling how well the electrical is on this truck even under the truck.

Anyone have experience with this truck or the electrical?
I'll admit electrical is NOT my strongest point. I have checked all the connections at the lights and they are good, some I even cut to redo them and then make sure nothing can get in them and I know I didn't screw anything up there because the turn signals never worked when I bought it.

Any ideas or electrical diagrams?
Thanks!
I'd replace the flasher first off. If it's the original, it will be a silver, round one about the size of a C battery in the fuse box hopefully. It will have either 2 terminals or 3. Sometimes they get stuck in.Z2626vfo5oy.JPG

soapstoneguy

Ok, so found it and got that replaced thank you very much!
Now my left turn signal is working but when I turn the right turn signal (where the fender is messed up from the blowout) the hazards come on and everything flashes. I took the left side apart (the good side) to check all the wires and everything is hooked up the same. Something is obviously crossed...
I did pull the lever off of the steering column and opened it up and a small washer came out when I did that. It looks to be bent...I'm not sure if the bent side is supposed to face up (like a U shape) or if it is supposed to face down and if this could be the culprit?

soapstoneguy

Yes. It's a pull tab that you pull out for the hazards then you can push it in and they shut off.