• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

1985 gmc brigadier speedometer not working

Shimmy1

Forget I said anything I guess. I just know that hose water with good coolant worked just fine for us 25 years ago, I know for a fact a bunch of those engines are still running just fine.

Now, a new smogger common rail that's tuned to the max might be a different story altogether, but we're talking about an old intercooled L10. I stand by my statement. Get it flushed clean with water that costs $8 per thousand, and give it a good flush with your distilled before putting the whatever flavor coolant you prefer. Chances are, if you run that engine long enough, you're going to be seeing the inside of it. I don't think a taste or 3 of city water is going to make a damn bit of difference.

IceHole

Forget I said anything I guess. I just know that hose water with good coolant worked just fine for us 25 years ago, I know for a fact a bunch of those engines are still running just fine.

Now, a new smogger common rail that's tuned to the max might be a different story altogether, but we're talking about an old intercooled L10. I stand by my statement. Get it flushed clean with water that costs $8 per thousand, and give it a good flush with your distilled before putting the whatever flavor coolant you prefer. Chances are, if you run that engine long enough, you're going to be seeing the inside of it. I don't think a taste or 3 of city water is going to make a damn bit of difference.
Tap water is what we use to blend coolant. Sell 10s of thousands of gallons a year.

skyking1

The old procedure was hose water and get it hot, put the flush stuff in there and run it. If it looked really gnarly when you drained it, go get some more flush and repeat.

cfherrman

If you can't afford $30 in distilled, you probably shouldn't own an engine.

Go ahead and knowingly put corrosive elements in a $20,000 engine

IceHole

If you can't afford $30 in distilled, you probably shouldn't own an engine.

Go ahead and knowingly put corrosive elements in a $20,000 engine
Been eating paint chips if you pay $20k for an L10.
I'll round up a truckload to sela killing! killing!

Most places tap water is fine. I wouldn't with my water, but it's very hard.

Truck Shop

Not on any annual inspection I've ever done.
Your correct it is not on the form. It's a piece not listed but required, it's also required to be able
to keep track of fuel mileage, small puny go no where's don't need it I suppose. They mostly
operate broken down sh!t you need a cell phone for a speedometer. The point of HEF is to give
advise for repair not some half a$$ {this will get you by}. The OP asked advise for his issue
with the speedo in his Jimmy. There is a DOT requirement--so the speedometer is required.

Coaldust

Occupation
Cargo Tanks, ULSD, RUG, Methanol, LPG
Tap water is what we use to blend coolant. Sell 10s of thousands of gallons a year.
Yes, but we regularly test the tap water from the Muni ( or used to) and it coincidentally, meets spec. Anchorage has amazingly, good water. The charter with Chevron requires it.
IDK what they do in FAI.

IMG_9671.jpeg

Coaldust

Occupation
Cargo Tanks, ULSD, RUG, Methanol, LPG
Isn't every thing on a commercial truck required to work properly?

Funniest citation I received was for not having sheets and blankets in the sleeper for T601, the red K-Dub in my avatar.

CFR 393.76 Sleeper berths.

e) Equipment. A sleeper berth must be properly equipped for sleeping. Its equipment must include:

(1) Adequate bedclothing and blankets;

Truck Shop

Funniest citation I received was for not having sheets and blankets in the sleeper for T601, the red K-Dub in my avatar.

e) Equipment. A sleeper berth must be properly equipped for sleeping. Its equipment must include:

Back when paper logs were the only----Dot checking a log book and 8 hrs continually logged in
off duty/not driving/sleeper birth it better look like it. A common trick years ago was a driver
would hang women's blouse and some slacks on the hook behind the passenger seat/draped
over the front of the seat so visible. Running several books they used that ploy as a team driver
when there was none--scale masters can't wake a driver to check their book.

IceHole

Yes, but we regularly test the tap water from the Muni ( or used to) and it coincidentally, meets spec. Anchorage has amazingly, good water. The charter with Chevron requires it.
IDK what they do in FAI.

View attachment 307892
I pee in Elktuna lake and giggle that folks in Anchorage will drink it.... cause I'm still 10 yrs old some days

IceHole

That's wild. I sleep in my work clothes on the chair by the front door all the time. No blankets needed!

Real fun waking up from that "nap" with one boot still on, the other half off, look at the clock and do an "oh ****!" as it's already 5am.