• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

1985 ford 6500 loader

Tiogaglide

Hi folks, I am going to look at a 1985 Ford 6500 loader next week. I was trying to get a little info about them before I visit . I have seen some photos of the 1985 6500 . The mechanic told me it end up in a used car repair shop because some one needed money. They been using it to move cars and other heavy things. Don't really have a full time use for it. He said the brake pedals don't move or frozen. He stops it with emergency brake. do these use hydraulic breaking? Does the emergency brake use the same pads as the normal foot brake pedals? It has no pto or 3point setup. Just the arms for the loader but NO BUCKET! That's the way they got it. He claims it runs good only problem is the foot brake pads are frozen. Any one had any experience with brakes on these? Also not having a bucket. I looked on line I can not seem to see any kind of buckets for it. I know these are a little on the rare side. Is locating a bucket at a reasonable price going to be impossible? Again I looked at photos only but it looks in good shape and price is not very high . I have a JD 450 loader crawler. They seem to be completely different bucket hook up. I attached 3 photos , Can anyone give me some insight about this before I go to see it?I would really greatly appreciate any input. Thaks

Attachments

• aaa6500b.jpg
    aaa6500b.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 529
  • aaa6500c.jpg
    aaa6500c.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 526
  • ford6500.jpg
    ford6500.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 554

mitch504

That is a rare bird. I think it used the ball-on-a-ramp type wet brakes like the 4500 and 5500.

Somebody would have to work to make me think it was made in 1985. The 00 series were were made from about 1965-1975. A 1985 model would be a 655. I am not sure of the letter, maybe a C or D.

That sure is a good looking machine for her age, though.

Tiogaglide

Thanks for your input. I looked on tractorData on a 6500 Industrial tractor 1974-????? they did not know the end of a ball on ramp wet brake? I got 3 JD crawlers and 2 ford farm tractors I never hear of ball on ramp. I find it odd it ended up with no bucket. What are the chances of finding one at a reasonable price? Are these brakes hard to work on. I might be getting over my head.

Tiogaglide

It looked like it might be a nice big tractor. But as I talk to the one guy who has been driving it. That when Ifound out the foot brake pedals were frozen. I never owned any equipment that had emergency brake. Before the owner had said there was pto. But the other guy said no. just a flat cover . This is a heavy tractor for 77hp.

Check Break

What do you have to pay for it. If the brakes are frozen you have a bigger problem. The differential and pinion would be ruined as well. Chances are your problem is in the brake linkage. You could disconnect the linkage from the brake rod and determine whether the problem is internal or external (linkage). If the engine and transmission are good, its cheap and the brake problem is in the external linkage, you can find or modify a bucket for the loader.

Delmer

What do you have to pay for it. If the brakes are frozen you have a bigger problem. The differential and pinion would be ruined as well. Chances are your problem is in the brake linkage. You could disconnect the linkage from the brake rod and determine whether the problem is internal or external (linkage). If the engine and transmission are good, its cheap and the brake problem is in the external linkage, you can find or modify a bucket for the loader.

I think he meant that the pedals were frozen, they use it the way it is with the emergency brake. So not likely anything wrong with the rear end, but you can check that running it in a figure 8. No idea on the fords, but I'd follow the linkages for the brakes, I'd doubt they use the same pads, but?

My other thought is what went on the back of that thing? The bucket got removed because that thing could get stuck loading sawdust on pavement without any extra weight on the back end. Maybe there's a bucket AND backhoe sitting around somewhere waiting for you to reunite them? Otherwise you're looking at a little bit of welding to make a bucket fit, unless you get real lucky or are willing to have a bucket shipped.

It would be a shame not to find the original bucket, it doesn't look like that ever saw salt or manure, or much mud for that matter.

edit:

That is one clean looking machine, if it runs anywhere near as nice as it looks then that's the kiddie pool when it comes to getting in over your head. I'd think you could find a used bucket to fit for $2,000 delivered, $500 or less locally if you wait long enough or don't mind hacking one.

Last edited:

Sportsman762

I would look to see if a a bucket off of a 5500, 5550 would fit as they were more common. Wengers salvage in PA has a 6500 they are parting out. I would be very concerned that there is no weights on the rear. I have a skip loader and have to have something heavy on the back or it is worthless.

Tiogaglide

He asking $3500 for it. The one who owns it runs some kind of business dealing with cars. He knows nothing about it except he got it because some one owed money. He claims no idea about bucket . The guy I talked to operates it just to move things. My understanding is that some one did look for a bucket and could not locate one. There is a tractor/equipment scrap yard near me. I going to call Monday about finding a bucket. The guy who drove said the PEDALS were frozen . he just used the emergency brake. He did mention something that the guy who had it before them just used it to move firewood. So I think the bucket been gone a while. Maybe I should question him again to see if I can contact the previous owner I have a little JD 450 loader and its bucket is pretty heavy .It has a lot of down pressure and can dig pretty good. It has a lot of steel weights on back to keep it balanced. I don't know if this would operate like my crawler if it had a bucket. Would it be able to dig down like the JD 450? I was thinking it would be like a Ford 620 industrial tractor with loader except bigger. But you say it would be unbalanced with just a bucket. Because threes nothing on back. Maybe that's why it was removed .

Tiogaglide

So he is also off about the age 1985. Your saying its was out of production in 70's. Ok what did you mean doing figure 8's? I have not seen it yet. But would the emergency brakes use the same brake disk? I read it has wet disks for brakes? Is that something like the wet clutches in my 450c dozer? I remember now he said it had 2 pedals like a regular tractor. So yea I guess a wet disk system for each side? If emergency brake uses same system the internal should be ok? If not how would I check the internal system? I thought this might be nice to play with if I found a bucket. We use the other machines to dig ponds and roads on our property. I thought this might be nice to pick up creek gravel and stuff. But now I don't know. if it worth anything if I could not find a bucket.

Tiogaglide

When I first saw it I thought that's cheap for a big tractor. But now after I hear what you guys say. Its not as simple as a tractor. I see nobody is beating down his door to buy it. He lowered the price from $3,800. to $3,500.

Delmer

The brake pedals are frozen, to me that means they won't move one bit. If the brake pedals are frozen then you can mess with the linkage and see if any of it moves. It may be that the pedals are rusted tight on their pivot but the internals are fine? That thing looks so nice that it's entirely possible somebody took it apart (bucket/hoe) and let it sit and rust up the brake pedals. Then again, the whole thing may be too good to be true?

My guess is the emergency brake is different than the service brakes, but you'll find out soon enough crawling around following the linkages. I meant driving in a circle then turning the other direction and driving in the opposite circle, so you turn both directions, like the shape of an 8. That will make noise if there's anything terribly wrong with the differential etc. not likely.

If it runs half as good as it looks, and the brakes, bucket and rear weight are the only issues, I say $3,500 is a fair price. You'll find a bucket eventually, one way or another. A weight box for the back is pretty easy to cobble together, and then it will work fine for loading gravel. Just don't try to back out of a soft pond with a bucket full of muck...

Tiogaglide

Thanks Delmer I just read and old Ford advertisement for it. Dated 1973 so far I only found 2 years that they were making them 1973 n 1974. I guess they stopped sometime in the 70's. Anyways it stated the loader with out the hoe had four 1000lb weights on the back. It must of had one big bucket.

Delmer

Not so much a big bucket, as just all that weight added up makes it hard to move if the front wheel gets in any kind of rut or soft spot. On hard dry level ground it will work fine, but the tires will probably last longer with the weight.

I know on similar loaders, when I've tried to lift the counterweight with the bucket, it lifted a rear wheel off the ground.

Tiogaglide

I understand what you saying now. I sent a request to Wengers. They replied they have no buckets for this machine. Where would one look for a bucket. I think this thing would be useless with out one.

Tiogaglide

I call Wengers this time. they said they had bucket 84" off 555B and 84" off 655A . They did not know if they would fit. How would I find out ?

jimg984

measure and post:
pin/bushing size
spread of the lower bucket connectors
spread of the cylinder attachment connectors
it looks like my ford 555a would fit...its 84 inch bucket

Tiogaglide

I just realized that this has a 3 speed automatic type transmission. I have no interest attaching a backhoe back on it. I hope to use it as a loader and a tractor. I think this 3 speed auto transmission is set up to move the backhoe. Not as a tractor transmission. I was planning on driving it more distance than the crawler loader. One of the properties is 20 miles away from the other. I also thought I could use a big tractor in slow moving farm mode to pull the JD crawlers on a trailer. Hook a pintail hitch to it and even a trailer brake. And tow it down the country road. I don't know if this idea is practical . But even using it like a real tractor alone it might not hold up. I afraid this rare machine auto transmission may turn out to be a real problem. Being that it not a real tractor and being a rare breed.

Tiogaglide

Ok I understand that some of my post seem stupide to you.About using it to move equipment must sound dumb. I was not talking about using state roads. I really would like input and you may be blunt. Please don't leave remarks about something and no explanation. I don't claim to be the most intelligent person in the Tioga county area! And I can take criticism from people . If you want to say something. Just say it jimg984 I did locate another bucket 84 " locally and took measurements. I had not read your first post till later. I thank you for that. Sorry you feel I am stupide for my last post about the reliability of the transmission and moving other equipment. I have not check with the DMV about it yet. Even with out that, Using it as a large tractor verses a backhoe. I would like the ability to pull stumps and trees pulling creek gravel where one can not park a dump truck. Can you answer my question even if to you I am stupide. I am a disabled Vet and know the value of advice from people who are more experienced than me. I also know loyalty duty respect selfless service honor integrity and personal courage. I know my post are not the most intelligent wording and I apologized for that. they are sometimes written 3 or 4 in the morning.I live with chronic pain so sleep is sometimes difficult. And some times not at all. I thought that there was a cross listing like with cars and trucks that salvage yards use. Yes believe it or not I was smart enough to measure the bucket and write down the distance and diameters. so jimg948 what is your opinion on the transmission ? John Brown 1SG, US Army (Ret)