• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

1981 Ford 555c

marc0490

Hello all this is my first post and backhoe.In the cab of my backhoe there are 2 dipsticks.Should I be pouring hyd fluid in those or just filling it in the front by radiator.What type of hyd. fluid should I be putting in heavy duty or a trans type of hyd. fluid.I am a car guy but I dont know a thing about these.I most likely will be buying all fluids from Tractor Supply they seem to be the cheapest so a recommendation on what type and where would be great.
Thank You Marc

gggraham

Occupation
Licensed Heavy Duty Equipment Mechanic
Go to an authorized dealer and get the proper fluids for the machine. They could also supply you with an operators manual with all the details of service. Since you just bought it wouldn't it be best to start fresh. Change all the fluids and filters so from this point on you'd know that the oils were correct and changed at regular intervals. Cheap oil won't save you much and repair costs far out weigh the cost of a transmission failure due to cheap oil.

Mikefromcny

Occupation
Mechanic
The C's were made from 89-92

On my '82 555, the dipstick closest to the front of the cab is for the transmission, there rear one is for rear end.

Last edited:

jimg984

Tractor Supply premium hydrualic tran fluid is good for use in both transmission and rear end never hear os a 1981 555C.... 555 555A 555B 555C 555D is the way they made and listed they numbers........ but got a very good machine if its beat to death GL i got 555A XL it is a horse

El Hombre

Get the correct Ford oil, at least for the rear axle. Your hoe has wet brakes in the rear axle, wrong oil and the brakes chatter and groan. Don't ask me how I know.....

daman

Occupation
Agriculture,Truck Driver,Mechanic
In that tractor a UTF 134D FORD spec oil will work in every sump but the engine.

thats....

trans
Rear end
Hydraulics
power steering

one oil.

marc0490

Do you know of anywhere you could get a 55 gallon drum to maybe save money my local place wanted 60 plus for 5 gallons