• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

1980 case 350 fuel pump removal

Mn to Tx

I have my dad's 1980 Case 350 crawler that ran great but now won't start the following summer due to fuel pump issue.

I'm asking for advice on how to remove and install the fuel pump. I feel the issue is with the shut off linkage. It seems to stick and then be free with little resistance. I can see the linkages on the outside move back and forth, but I can't hear inside movement.

Here's is what I've done so far.
Clean the fuel tank and lines going to the fuel pump. Fuel tank had black (tar) in it but after using cleaning solvent, wet vac and several days for gunk to break down tank is clean and lines to fuel pump clean.
Clean fresh fuel is getting to fuel pump. Fuel Filter is new and primed.
I have used the same cleaning solvent in the pump. The screen was clean, so it appears that no gunk got to the pump itself. After several tries to start and knowing fuel is getting to the pump, I took the fuel line off up near the injectors with no fuel at that point.

So if the shut off linkages is broken, how do I remove the pump as there seems to be a process?
What issues do I need to be aware of.
When I replace to fixed pump is there a timing issue that I need to be aware of because that would be another issue. I plan to work on this crawler in mid-June so any advice would be helpful. Thank you very much!

Last edited:

thepumpguysc

Occupation
Master Inj.Pump rebuilder
Thank u Tinkerer..

There’s a big temptation to not time the pump to the engine on removal.. Simply because it’s not easy..
Believe me, you’ll thank yourself that u did.!!!
You’ll either fight it coming off OR fight it goin on..
It’s much easier to fight it coming off.!!
Good luck

Mn to Tx

Thank you all for the information. I will do the best that I can to do it right!
If anymore suggestions on making it easier to remove would be great. The crawler is in a field covered up all set for me to spend quality time with it.
Thanks

thepumpguysc

Occupation
Master Inj.Pump rebuilder
Your gonna find out that it’s easier with 2 people..
1 to turn the engine & 1 to look inside the pump side cover with a flashlight for the rotating timing line to meet the stationary line..
Some people find it easier to tighten the alternator belt, so they can turn the engine with the nut on the alternator..
Some folks will remove the starter and turn the engine with a screwdriver on the flywheel..
And yet some use the nut on the front of the engine harmonic balancer..

Turn off the fuel or pinch a rubber line..
The inj pump will be full of fuel so be prepared for that when you take the side window off..(2 flat head screws)
Behind the window you’ll see a stationary line.. there’s also one that rotates.. turn the engine until the 2 lines meet AND STOP..