• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

1978 CAT D3 Issues to Look For?

Jose Alvarez

Looking at buying this older D3 as a project...anything particular I should be looking for in this year? Owner says it smokes blue a bit when cold and other obvious issues from years of use. Serial number is 79U3014, hours unknown. Also any idea on a fair price? Thanks in advance.
48C1F2B7-663E-48BF-80B6-F2DD32A09D62.png A88C2268-2635-447C-96F1-AD839B55DE1D.jpeg

Aceofspades

Tree fiddy.

Seriously though, I wouldn't pay much (no idea what would be reasonable), but good luck with it. It would be cool to have a dozer.

Last edited:

Old Magnet

That's a 1976 model with 3204 engine with pre-combustion chambers.
Steering problems are one of the most common issues.
Might look into parts availability as I understand Cat support is not great for the early D3's.

Old Magnet

Couple more items...
I hear it's near impossible to find a replacement transmission control valve and they do wear out. The engine uses a two ring only piston so blow-bye is expected on a worn engine. Go to three ring version if you rebuild.