• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

1974 cummins ntc 350 valve adjustment

dbs

I'm trying to adjust the valves and injectors on this engine. I recently bought a dumptruck with this engine in it. It seems to run great but starting is requires considerable heating of the engine. From the looks of the valve covers it appears it has been years since the valves were adjusted. I have the shop manual for the NT/NA 855 engines which I believe is around 1978 model. The adjustment instructions have pictures that don't show it well. The engine has an engine brake as well. The intake valves seem staightforward enough. However the exhaust rockers are partially covered by the engine brake. Is the engine brake usually removed in order to do the exhaust valves and injector adjustment? Also with the engine brake bolted on top of the rocker housing it is difficult to tighten the adjuster locknut while holding the adjusting screw from turning. Is this typically done with specialized tools or does the brake need to be removed every time you do the adjustment? Thanks, DBS

STRPETE

I think there are some special wrenches for that, but I always pull the jakes off. That way, everything's wide open. There's a little rubber o ring on the bottom of some jakes you want to make sure gets put back in upon assembly.