• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

1971 Case 580 CK lift cylinder pin

Leon Phelps

Hello,

Trying to get the pin out of the lift cylinder for a 1971 CK. I am figuring to remove the pin then tilt the piston forward then get the rod out to replace seal.

here is a photo of the pin I need to drive out. I have tried it from both ways and it is a solid ping, like it is on there good. I forget if I can only drive it one way or the other.

photo can be seen at https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-n5zqJjVpTYY/T2ElAXDaXDI/AAAAAAAAHaE/FAzFMy3Hmvo/s800/100_3054.JPG

The import image will not work for the site.

Any suggestion for how to remove would be appreciated.

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
I'd wager that pin is being held in place by Gods Loctite Leon...rust/corrosion.

Would most likely take a little heat from a gas ax to get it to move, but you would have to wash all that grease from the area or you're gonna have a helluva fire.

alrman

Occupation
Diesel Fitter;Small Business Owner;Cleaner
That looks alot like a hydra leveling cylinder to me.... I might be wrong. They are usually retained with a 3/8" bolt & nut - the head & threaded end may have been twisted off in an attempt to remove......

Like willie says, a little heat may be required - but use a starter punch or a tapered punch to get it moving. They seem to deliver alot more of the hammer impact than a std pin punch.

Attachments

• 580ck hydra cyl.jpg
    580ck hydra cyl.jpg
    185.8 KB · Views: 1,051

dwloop

I agree with alrman, looks like the hydra-level cylinder. Parts manual shows it to be a grooved pin, prolly need a new one to go back and hold.

Note: Service manual on mine states to raise the loader (and block) which it looks like you already have, but to dump the bucket completely before removing its lines to remove pressure.

Good luck!!

HTH
Dave

Leon Phelps

This is the hydraulic leveler, sorry for the confusion.

I have the bucket on the ground. I can remove the bucket and then block up. I have the hydraulic lines off of the leveler so there is no pressure or fluid in the cylinder.

The pivot pin (large one) moves both side to side and will rotate a small amount when gripped with large pliers.

anyone think MAPP gas will do the trick or will should I go to the acetylene? I need some hand cleaner, so Ill add brake cleaner to the parts list. :)

I have a funny feeling I will be drilling from both sides until can get it out.

dwloop

If you already have the lines off of the cylinder I wold not move the loader now, if you can get to the pin.

I have used mapp gas torch on smaller items (Like when I was working on the swing pedals), I think you need to more heat on something this large. But it doesn't hurt to try it. My concern with the heat theory is that I believe the groove pin is interference fit to the cylinder pin, not the boss. It will be difficult to get heat on the back side of that cylinder pin where it is located.

BTW: I have the same cylinder weeping on my 580B, so I am intently watching how you get this off... :D

Dave

Leon Phelps

three cans of brake cleaner, about twenty heat cool cyles, one air hammer tip and then a 20 pound sledge got it out. not too bad when you consider what I was working with.

you can heat both sides. the back side is wide open too.

next to wait for the seal kit....

Tinkerer

Alrman is right again,it is a hydra-leveling cylinder.:) I found this on the Case online parts book. Number 17 in the picture is --- Pin, Grooved, 5/16" X 2 3/4", Type E, Hardened

Strange computer thing happened. Just before I posted this reply, Alrman's post at 7:09AM was the last post I was able to see in the thread. That is why I added this post, which certainly wasn't needed since everyone was on top of the pin problem.

Attachments

• 001CSC-141582_e0.png
    001CSC-141582_e0.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 1,146
Last edited:

wfmdfm

I need to get the same cylinder off my 530CK. Once you drive out the small pin does the large cylinder pin come out easy or is that where you needed the heat?

mikey1

Occupation
local truck driver
is there going to be a problem just to bypass this leveling valve? Ive got a 73 580b that i have bypassed, the mechanic thought that was the problem but ive not re-attatched it. Just wondering if it will hurt to leave it bypassed?

Not meaning to steal your thread here man

wfmdfm

Pin

Once you got the small pin out did you need to punch out the large pin or did it just slide out? I ask because the back side of the large pin is blocked on mine and I am not ready to raise the bucket till I do some motor work.

wfmdfm

Well I just hammered on the small pin with not heat on it. Looks like I will need lots of heat and a bigger punch.