• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

1969 cummins serial number location hunt!

petepilot

Guys more than anything i would like to see this engine run again! Main reason for me is that my dad bought the truck it was in back in the early 80s! It put food on the table for me and my 2 brothers for many years. It was rebuilt and shortly after that in about 92 i built a dump box and put it on the truck. I sold all my lawn mowing equipment i amassed in high school and paid for the materials to build a box. The box was also built out of a salvaged underground fuel tank. I ran the truck for about a year and paid cash to go through colorado areo tech to be an aircraft mechanic! No student loan debt at all! Thank you old freightliner! In the end the aircraft career was a fkn nightmare and probably a huge contribution to my alcoholism! I have come full circle and am most happy dump trucking and enjoy the people i meet doing this far more than the aircraft crowd! Still the aircraft education made me tbe person and technician that i am today. There are principals that apply no matter the machine and what mode of earth it operates on! I want to see this thing go again because its a special part of my history that made me what i am today and gave me the knowledge and abillity to provide for my family even in a pathetic worn down physical state that im in! Its would be an honor to wield this nobel machine one again! Does that sound crazy? I will keep up on this thread as i get it back to life!
Crazy? no way

mekanik

workshoprat
That looks like a 335 to me. It has a taper nose crank. Does it have two oil pickup lines from the oil pan to the pump?
The NTC350 had a jacket water aftercooler and six 5/8" bolts holding the damper on the front of the crank.
Someone may have replaced the pump and injectors with a 350 pump and injectors to try to gain a little horsepower.
They were a good engine in their day.
The lack of a serial number on the engine probably means the block was replaced at some point. They were prone to counterbore cracks
Sometimes the cracks could be repaired with salvage sleeves but not always.
Cummins had a publication called a CPL manual or Control Parts List. You could look up the CPL number for your engine and it gave all the needed part numbers for the injectors, cam heads
turbo, pistons pump code and timing. I rebuilt quite a few NT335 engines. I used CPL: 0160 or 0021 which are both an NTC 350 and timed them at -0.041".

Terry