• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

1964 a 100 hough turfblazer found couple pics

turfblazer

Occupation
semi retired drainage ,site work , eq operator.
someone asked before about it cant remember where i posted so figured i put up a couple pics here 2013-09-25_13-09-24_785.jpg2013-09-25_13-10-42_576.jpg

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
Looks like an old 817 Diesel engine. Most of the ones we had, 100's and 120's had the optional Cummins 855 in them. When the 560's came out those came in with the Turboed and after cooled 817 with the Robert Bosh fuel injection. Where the older 817's in the 100/120's had the IH pump and cam actuated injectors. When the Cummins KT1150 came out Cummins got togeather with us and we did the, I believe, proto-type install in the 560's. Operators were very happy with the extra power of the KT1150. That engine was latter on an option in the next version of the 560 and latter on we got a WA600 after Komatsu purchased what was left of Hough/Dresser. Where I retired from back in April we still had a WA600 with the KTA1150, going pretty strong with over 25,000 hours on it. It did break a valve spring a couple years back but after pulling head and doing a valve job it was back to work!

turfblazer

Occupation
its a IH for sure . i found what i wrote before and just copied it !
its a 100a 1964 i believe, straight frame with 5 yard stone bucket. local stone quarry owned it many moons ago, story went they dropped a rebuilt motor in it and then a couple years later went to auction ,a friend of mine got this one and then i traded him a boat for it. i,ve had it for the past 20 years, it gets used every year.
ready as it sits now! i move dirt and leaf piles around to keep it exercised, its a nice machine for the buffalo emer. snows loading tandems 3-4 buckets and gone. 1 year i drove it to and back from buffalo storm.
its old but simple, very reliable, lots of balls.
i myself ( too fricken old now) cant use it for snow pushing with box anymore simply because cold weather makes steering too hard on my arms, loading is ok cause weight in bucket takes pressure off rear tires.
it makes a good standby machine incase my main loader goes down in a pinch.
i'd consider letting it go if the price was right ??? one funny thing the dip stick has 2 oil levels one for no run and one for running. so it seems in the old days the rule was keep it full of fuel and oil and never shut it off !!!

mowingman

Occupation
Retired
Brings back memories. The first loader I ever operated was on of those old H100's. I hired on as summer help at a ferroalloy plant in 1969, and they had one of those. After a few days, I had moved up the seniority ladder enough to get a job as a loader operator. What a joke. I was excited to move up from the pick and shovel crew, but for the first couple of days, I could barely find the ground with the bucket edge. There was no such thing as "training" back then. Just, "get on it and run it", I was told.
Thanks for the memories.
Jeff

scholzee

Hello from Grand Island passed by that loader many of times. Thanks for the story one question I always had is on the color ? with the air base up there I always thought it maybe came from there and was some sort of gray paint scheme.

turfblazer

Occupation
the gray came by my dad had some gallons of machinery gray ( old oil based) i brought up from his house when we cleaned it out and it just seemed the right thing to do at that time. reminds me of a storm story and if i remember after i do its next oil change ( soon) i;ll try to remember to post a new pic here.
i actually took a old truck bed liner to make a side cover for the engine compartment and during a very long buffalo storm that went on after christmas and threw new years one year. loaders were breaking down and getting scarce well old betsy never quit ! anyway the tandems were getting pissed because they could't find loaders to get loaded and were worried they'ed get sent home because they were't hauling snow . someone on the cb said " go to the scud missle launcher hes got snow " i was very busy after that ! i put in a lot of hours that storm , sometimes its good to be different !
if your a slouch or a skater ok blend in and hide but if your a honest worker and at least try to do a good job theres no reason too hide !

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
817 an IH or a Cummins?

817 is defiantly an IH. Worked on a fair number of them back in the day. Like I said above the 560 Hough/Dressers used the same basic engine just souped up a bit with Bosh pump and injectors and intercooler between the turbo and engine. Those also had a V4 Bendix Tu-flow air compressor!

Old Doug

I put a 855 in a Hough years ago it had a IH engine. It wasnt that bad of a job to do. The 855 was 400 HP. I never opened it up going down the road to fast for rear steer. I dont remember what size it was it looked just like the 100 but it was a 1??. It was fixed to sale and had a diffrent tilt cylinder and would break over center were the bucket wouldnt come back on its own. The IH engine was alot biger and heavyer than the cummins.

Willie B

Occupation
Electrician
A good friend had a IH looked much like that. One failure after another, finally the engine, about the time the owner died. His son gave it to my son. Scrap value was 11.5 ton X $165